Saturday, March 14, 2009

Wonderful Weekend

It's hard to believe that one week ago today I was having breakfast with some of my dearest friends in the world. I am blessed in the friendship department, I have many dear friends, from my past and present. These particular ladies and I have been friends for a very long time. Most of us even went to high school together. I've watched as they had crushes, then loved, and married their husbands. I've held their babies, sat with them in hospitals, and spent many long nights figuring out life and solving it's problems. I've been to Europe with five of them, Asia with one, and Central America with another. I've lived with all but 1 of them at some point. Lots of history, lots of shared experiences, lots of love.
Several months ago Kim sent out an email suggesting another attempt at a weekend together. In 1998 the same group of ladies, including husbands and a couple babies got together in Branson. We had a great time, but as our families grew and our responsibilities became more pressing, planning anymore reunions was difficult at best. This year it happened though. We simplified and stuck to just the girls. We found a very reasonably priced cabin(thanks to Butch Heath) and, thanks be to God, it worked out. We hadn't all been together since my wedding over 8 years ago. Several times over the weekend we'd walk into a restaurant and the hostess would say, "So where are ya'll from?" To which we would reply, "All over." We've all landed in different places in life. 8 ladies and 7 states. But there is something about shared experiences, the tough times of growing up together, and the great times of laughter that have forged a bond between us. The strongest bond we have though of course, is Jesus. It is our shared desire to know Him and pattern our lives after His example that keeps the bond so close.

On Friday several of us met in Lexington, KY and headed south to pick up Gaye and Kayla. This is the really cool state-of-the-art Welcome Center of TN.


Friday night we ate supper at The Apple Barn and then met up with Marty later that evening.

Saturday we went shopping. Kayla and Sonja found these BEAUTIFUL little....things. We ate at Bullfish Grill. Yummo! But mostly we did a lot of this.........


Even baby Emma laughed!

Each of us girls are care-givers of some sort. Combined, we care for and are responsible for over 200 people. That's a whole lot of pressure. While we are content with our lives, this weekend was a much needed time of low pressure and "being young again". We are so thankful for the fun time spent together.








10 comments:

Charity said...

I'm afraid poor Sonja gets the majority of those 200 people! ;o) Anybody caring for my sister + a bunch of other hormonally-driven persons has my sympathy ;o) My favorite pic though is of the mothers of four!

Anonymous said...

Ha Ha, Charity! Well said, Julia. It was an incredibly special time. I love you guys so very much. Happy happy times!

Kimberly said...

Content...that is the (very realistic) goal...but a break from the "normal" was really GOOD.

What a great summing up you did, my dear! I think I'll just link to you and save myself the effort...(I'm not kidding!!) Love you Lots!!

Tara said...

You did a beautiful job summing this up, Julia. I'm SO impressed. Maybe I'll just link to it, too. (not kidding, either!)

Making Memories 1999 said...

So fun to be with friends! Glad you all had a good time!

Marty said...

Great job! Love the pic of Emma laughing!!

Anonymous said...

I could almost hear the laughter! So happy you all could get together!

Great post Julia and what great friends!

Dorinda

The Dickinsons said...

It looks like y'all had a great time...so glad y'all could get together. Looks like fun. =)

Ronda said...

Just clicked on your blog...I don't think that we have met. I enjoyed looking at the "girlfriend get~a~way"! Looks like you all had a blast...bet you came back feeling refreshed! :)Have a nice day...

jenny said...

Cute pics...lots of fun!