Monday, May 18, 2009

Strength to Stand


Matt and I are very interested in the persecuted church. We receive the Voice of the Martyrs newsletter every month and our hearts are always moved by the trials of our brothers and sisters. A few months ago the cover of VOM had a 10 year old girl named Namrata on it. Her little face had been burned. Her great crime and reason for her charred flesh was because she was a believer. Her testimony was beautiful, full of forgiveness and hope. In spite of the pain and the shadow of death that continually looms over her little life, her faith is strong.


I just read the report of the horrific torture of Gao Zhisheng. I was brought to tears reading all our brother had endured and may still be enduring. I was overwhelmingly thankful for the freedoms I enjoy. If you stop and look at history you will see how time and again freedoms never disappear overnight. It is the slow erosion of a culture. A complacent acceptance of the sirens call to change. It frightens me to hear Christians say it is not our place as believers to stand up against the erosion of our culture. It only takes a glance back at the history of the world to show us the devastating ruins of good people doing nothing. Thank God for the Dietrich Bonhoeffers and Gao Zhishengs of the world. But I digress.


The thought that has weighed the most on my mind is how well would I withstand in the face of such torture? Am I preparing my children to have the kind of faith I saw in the face of little Namrata? A few Sundays ago we were visiting a church. We enjoyed the service, but something struck me during the song service. We sang a few token hymns presumably for the "old people". The song leader stopped us in the middle of "A Mighty Fortress is Our God" and said, "Can we pick this up a little? If we don't, this song just drags on." Musically I understand what he was saying. But it seemed to me the message of the song seemed to be being missed, we were just getting it "over with". Then we moved on to the praise songs and while I enjoyed them, the lyrics were a bit repetitive. And while they inspired good feelings(which aint all bad) the challenge and encouragement found in Luther's hymn was not as evident in the praise choruses. During this portion of the singing we were encouraged to "think of the words" and worship. Now before you get your boxing gloves on, this is NOT intended to be a argument of hymns vs praise music. Neither is this a criticism of the service or the music minister of the church we visited. I gave the background because it was a catalyst of thought for me. I asked myself what would sustain me or my children in the face of persecution? Have we fed them so much ease and feel good theology that they would immediately crumble into the "why me Lord?" mentality when faced with discomfort.


I don't have all the answers to my questions, I'm really just thinking out loud here. I pray we never face in America what Gao is facing in China or what Namrata faced in India or what little Mark in Iraq is facing everyday at school. But should that day come, I wonder if we would be sustained by an understanding that others have faced this and more and stood strong for Christ. Would a knowledge of Luther's world and how powerful his song was in light of what he was facing bring us encouragement? Would the powerful trust of being eternally protected by our Mighty Fortress call to our memories scriptures of promise from our Savior? And so Matt and I are trying to actively prepare our family for whatever may come. To prepare our hearts and minds to lean hard upon Jesus in times of trial. Be that in a jail cell or in a peer group.


1. A mighty fortress is our God,
a bulwark never failing;
our helper he amid the flood
of mortal ills prevailing.
For still our ancient foe
doth seek to work us woe;
his craft and power are great,
and armed with cruel hate,
on earth is not his equal.

2. Did we in our own strength confide,
our striving would be losing,
were not the right man on our side,
the man of God's own choosing.
Dost ask who that may be?
Christ Jesus, it is he;
Lord Sabaoth, his name,
from age to age the same,
and he must win the battle.

3. And though this world, with devils filled,
should threaten to undo us,
we will not fear, for God hath willed
his truth to triumph through us.
The Prince of Darkness grim,
we tremble not for him;
his rage we can endure,
for lo, his doom is sure;
one little word shall fell him.

4. That word above all earthly powers,
no thanks to them, abideth;
the Spirit and the gifts are ours,
thru him who with us sideth.
Let goods and kindred go,
this mortal life also;
the body they may kill;
God's truth abideth still;
his kingdom is forever.

9 comments:

Liz said...

That second verse has been a great big blessing to me in the last couple months. Thank God its not in our own striving!

Mylea said...

I am stunned by what seems to be such a rise in opposition to Christians/Christianity in today's culture right here in the U.S. Our Pastor's sermon last Sunday was on this very subject...the political decisions going back to the 1960's, that have contributed to the breakdown of adherence to the Christian principles on which the U.S. was founded, and ultimately contributed to the rising opposition to many things having to do with Christianity. He also pointed out how the church has always grown during times of religious persecution.

Could it be that our Heavenly Father is preparing us for the harsher persecution to come, so that His church in the U.S. may once again flourish under that persecution?

Oh that we hold dear the words of Luther's hymn, "we will not fear, for God hath willed, His Truth to triumph through us."

Anonymous said...

Powerful words, my friend!

Jo said...

Yes, yes, my friend!

Kelly S said...

So well said. It's easy to ignore the stories of persecution because of fear or discomfort. It's hard to face those facts when we live so comfortably here. However, I believe the more we face it, the stronger we become. Thanks for the reminder!

Kimberly said...

Sorry it's taken me awhile to comment on these GOOD thoughts, Julia...I'm up too late and blog-hopping! yes, so important to be "prepared" for whatever we may face...i think there's no real way to KNOW exactly what may happen or how each of us may react to either the positive or negative life may bring. i've been listening a lot to Brent's cd w/the reworking of "Grace of God" on it...I sooo loved to hear ya'll sing that...i remember weeping copiously when I would hear ya'll do it:)...but that is a line in it, I believe..something about Grace of God giving you the "strength to stand"...that really is all we can rely on, I think (and surely that is enough!)

(sorry for the LONG comment, but that is the beauty of blogworld, right?!:)

Kim M. said...

I have also thought of this myself and how important it is to think, pray, and plan for these things. And yes, to pray for others enduring such persecutions.

kayla said...

Thanks, I totally agree.

jenny said...

That is very convicting Julia...and good emphasis...am I aware of what is going on in the lives of my brothers and sisters in Christ?...but also, am I raising children with character and passion to serve Christ no matter the depth of the darkness of surrounding culture. Thanks for the challenge...