Tuesday, August 31, 2010

My Plate is a Saucer


I was in a conversation with some friends recently and I described my plate as a saucer. We've all heard the expression, "She's got a lot on her plate", but time has taught me that it doesn't take much to fill my plate. I know that part of this is my own fault, I'm trying now to get my plate to grow. I spent a good deal of my formative years chasing after what was "fun". I didn't take a lot of things very seriously. Don't get me wrong, I don't regret the friendships I made or a lot of the experiences I had. Many of those friendships have helped me to develop good character qualities. However, I was terribly undisciplined about going to bed or getting up or getting anywhere on time or using the time I had wisely to study or or or. And so here I am in my 30's, working on those things and finding my little plate so, so full.

Recently, our boys have been growing. No shock for 5 and 7 year olds. They are not just growing physically though. They are starting to ask some pretty hard questions. Questions like, "How do we know God is good?" "What if the Bible is a trick and we do what it says, and then find out at the end of life we were wrong?" Explaining trust to a 5 year old is quite a challenge. Then Matt and I observed that our boys were forming loyalties outside of our home. There is a time and a place for that, but right now, while they are so young and impressionable, Matt and I believe that the primary influence in ther lives should be us. We were seeing that primary influence being transferred to their peers. As you know, children can't help children develop into godly adults. Adding to that, our youngest found his conscience. So a good deal of my day is spent encouraging him to question his motives and not just be legalistic. Then of course, I must help him to know how to do that. Then Josiah starts violin lessons again this week, and Micah will be going for the first time. And, oh yes, there's school, and the house and laundry and friends, and family. And probably the biggest job of all, is making sure my heart is where it should be. You see if I attempt to train our boys, or be a friend, or help my family, then I must have a heart that is crying out to my Father, "Thy will be done." I must be, as Peter says, adding to my faith, moral excellence, knowledge, self control, endurance, godliness, brotherly kindness and love. Peter says the only way to do that is by the knowledge of Christ. I have to study Him, let His mind and perspective transform mine.

So many of you have much more on your plate than I do. You are sole providers or mothers of multiple little souls or leaders in your church or community. I take my hat off to you and even say a prayer for you. Because the fact is, no matter how large your plate, when it's full it's full. Don't get me wrong, I'm not stressed or overwhelmed by my full little saucer. I just recognize that I need Jesus and that I must increase in my knowledge of Him if I ever hope to do the few things on my little saucer well for His Kingdom's sake.

2Pe 1:1 Simon Peter, a servant and an apostle of Jesus Christ, to them that have obtained like precious faith with us through the righteousness of God and our Saviour Jesus Christ:
2Pe 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied unto you through the knowledge of God, and of Jesus our Lord,
2Pe 1:3 According as his divine power hath given unto us all things that pertain unto life and godliness, through the knowledge of him that hath called us to glory and virtue:
2Pe 1:4 Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises: that by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
2Pe 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
2Pe 1:6 And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
2Pe 1:7 And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
2Pe 1:8 For if these things be in you, and abound, they make you that ye shall neither be barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

2 comments:

Kimberly said...

that's a beautiful Scripture...the promise and provision it portrays is reassuring. It's also reassuring to me that His grace makes it possible for our plates to remain intact...however much they hold. love ya!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Blessings on you, friend, as you fulfill the things on your plate. I, too, am so thankful for God's help!!