Monday, May 2, 2011

Great Family Read Aloud Books!!


Several weeks ago Matt and I attended the Mid-West Homeschool Convention. While we enjoyed the speakers and all the challenging things that we learned, our favorite part of the convention is browsing the vendor hall. After we make all the necessary curriculum purchases we spend hours scouring book shelf after book shelf finding books we want to read, we want our boys to read and books we want to read to our boys. Children are NEVER too old to be read aloud to....in fact, I can just bet you still enjoy hearing a book read aloud.

At convention we ran across a series of books that we thought looked like good books to read aloud as a family. Sadly we only bought one in the series because we wanted to see what they were about before we took the plunge and bought the whole set. Needless to say, half-way through the first book we went to Amazon and ordered the next two books in the series. The author Chuck Black weaves the story of Christ into this allegorical retelling of biblical history from Genesis to Revelations. There are discussion questions in the back for each chapter which make for a wonderful catalysis for conversation. If you use these books as a tool in family devotional times, I guarantee your kids will beg you for just one more chapter.

I just love running across great resources like the Kingdom Series by Chuck Black and I thought I'd pass the word on to you. Enjoy!!

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Always interested in good reading recommendations. Thanks!

Tara said...

Thanks for recommendation! I look forward to checking it out!

David Fry said...

Headed to Amazon right now (with my Mother's day gift certificate from my kids) to check it out! : )

David Fry said...

And YAY! Our library has it! Oops...This is Sarah Fry. I can't get used to the fact that David is a busier blogger now and I keep forgetting to sign him out!

Julia said...

David...er Sarah...whoever :), glad your library has it. I ordered two other books in this series from Amazon about a month ago and still don't have them...we've been borrowing from a friend. So if you do purchase them you may want to try another source.

Anonymous said...

i love the books