Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Summer Fun

Summer FUNThe pool is still a big hit! The whole family has been enjoying it this week. Yesterday, when Daddy came home for lunch he surprised the boys by jumping in with them for a few minutes. "Moments made eternity" is the phrase that comes to mind, not that the pool is that big of deal, but the fact that Daddy took time out of his very busy day to stop and have fun with them.
The other day as I was out watering the seed & straw, I noticed the boys running around
on the porch. Josiah yelled something about a snack, but I couldn't understand all he said. I did the thing mothers of very verbal children often do, I said something like "really or OK." When I came back up on the porch I saw a table set up with the following items on it for the "snack": chocolate frosting, 4 bottles of water, butter, ham, cheese, english muffins, & yogurt. The boys were in the process of bringing chairs out for us to sit on. I was shocked at how quickly they had emptied the frig and set up our "snack". I adjusted the snack contents a little and then we enjoyed a snack.

Last week Josiah started his Summer Violin Lessons. He will only
be taking 4 lessons this summer so Micah has been coming with us. Mondays are special days since the boys enjoy getting to watch videos on the way to lesson and then getting to have lunch at McDonalds. Not to mention, they get to be with some of their friends before and after lessons, so that is a real treat.



As promised, here is a little blurb on chore charts. My dear friend just got home from a Home Educators Convention. She was sharing some of the great ideas she got there. She mentioned chore charts, which is not a new concept by any stretch, but it refreshed the idea for me. I searched the Internet for a printable chore chart that would be free and fun, I found several, but none that fit our needs. Since we have pre-readers I needed something with pictures. I got the idea to take photos of tasks the boys do and print them at Wally World. You can go to the Kodak Kiosk and print 9 little photos on a 4 x 6 for $.28 a copy. I went to a web-site and printed a chore chart, and then cut it apart to make a chore chart with photos.(I can replace the chore section weekly.) The boys have certain chores that must be accomplished before they can go out and play. This saves me "nagging" to get things done. I just say, "are your chores done, so you can go out and play?" It doesn't take much time at all, once they get started (since chores for little ones our boy's age, aren't too intense), however, it does ensure that we get things done that are important, teaches them to be workers, and makes the household run more smoothly. Not to mention, the boys LOVE marking things off their charts. If they have a completed chart at the end of the week they get to choose to go on a date alone with Mommy or Daddy. This reward also gets alone, quality time for each boy with either Matt or I. BTW, our "dates" are nothing terribly time consuming or expensive. This week Josiah wants to go to the wood shop with Matt and start on a project. Other options are going out for ice cream, going to the park, or for a walk.

Well, I need to run. The boys are up from their naps now and I need to start dinner. I hope you all are enjoying your summer as well.

16 comments:

Tara said...

Julia,
Your chore chart is ADORABLE! Like you said, the concept is far from new, but sometimes it's nice to 'refresh' an old idea. I used to use a Responsibility Board with the kids; came with a set of about 25 magnets w/pics like the ones you made. Since we moved I never put it up again. But me-thinks you have inspired me to give it a go again! Thanks!

kayla said...

I bought some chore charts for my boys from a school fundraiser, but they were a little too advanced. They really do help motivate them. Maybe I'll copy your idea.
Isn't the pool great? I took the boys swimming yesterday for three hours, they enjoyed it, but there is nothing like the thrill of when Dad gets in with them.

Julia said...

Tara & Kayla;

Please don't tell your kids that I had anything to do with you pulling the chore charts back out, I want them to love Juwah. :)

Tara said...

Funny! I won't tell them!

Actually, they already know that Daddy bought some posterboard 3 wks ago for the very purpose of making our own Responsibility Charts!(Sure wish I wasn't so undisciplined that even my CHORE CHARTS sit around undone for 3 weeks! AAAGGH!) So even if I wanted to blame it on you, they know better!! Truth is, though, that for the most part my kids love a challenge, especially anything that involves using poster board and stickers!!

jenny said...

Great idea and I don't think I've ever seen a cuter chart.

The pool sounds so nice...we are heading to Lake Michigan today for our first outdoor swimming experience this year...not sure how that will go for lil' Isaac.

Just an idea...when you are done finishing Don Q. maybe you could do a blog summarizing (and possibly inspire some of us) what you learned from reading and discussing. I for one would be really interested.

Tara said...

Juwa,(sorry for another comment!): ditto on Jenny's idea. I'm devouring the Well-Educated Mind also, and looking forward to reading Don Q. Did you do as she suggests and buy your own copy or cheat and go 'library' on it!! Just wondering. I already know that I'm not one who will need/want to re-read most things. One thing the opening parts of this book have done for me is actually re-affirm to me that I did receive a good education!!! Reading comprehension was a HUGE part of my elementary years with SRA's, etc., at H.S. Also, as you know, I always loved the Vocabulary lessons in High School. So anytime in the book that she has had me go back and see how long it took to read or how many words I didn't know, I've been very encouraged. That doesn't happen too often for me!!
Well, enough on that. I would just be interested, too, to know how you're coming along and maybe we can opine together on these various books!

The Dickinsons said...

The pool looks like a lot of fun...but I wondered why you didn't post a picture of the whole family in it. ;-D Our kids want to get a small backyard pool here...but they'd freeze. For though we have sunny days...with being 9,000 ft. above sea level, it's never really warm enough here for a pool!

The chore chart was a neat idea, along with the pics that you put on there too.

Take care,
Heather =)

Jo said...

Julia,
It looks like you have been having a great time! I remember my dad coming home from work when I was little and jumping in our (much smaller) pool in his dress clothes and tie! Great memories! Your boys will cherish those fun spontaneous times later in their lives! :)

Julia said...

Tara;
I still have not finished The Disciplined Life, by Elisabeth Elliot, so I can understand the waiting poster board. :) I went ahead and bought Don Q. Boarders had a great buy three get one free sale on all their classics, plus I get a Home Educators 20% discount. I figure our boys will read it at some point so it won't go to waste. One can never have too many classics in their library, if for nothing more than to look impressive. :) hee hee

Jenny,
Thanks. Lake Michigan can be intimidating, although the little ones tend to know no fear. Sounds like fun though. I just wish you all lived a little further South. I would be glad to post a Don Q. summary, it would be really good for me to commit to that. If any of you girls want to do the same it might help balance me too.

Heather;
I wondered about the weather there. I always see you all in layered clothes in your photos, but was afraid to ask in case you had a conviction about wearing turtle necks. :)

Jo;
It's not hard at all for me to imagine your Dad jumping in a pool in his suit. What a fun man.

lauralavon said...

I surely enjoy the pics. Thanks for your royal efforts at changing my flat tire Monday. I think Curt kind of enjoyed being my Shiny Knight! When he drove up, he said, "Well, is my armor shining?"

Making Memories 1999 said...

Cute chore chart and cute pics!! Can I come and play in the pool too? Looks like fun!! Hope you are having a great week!

Kim M. said...

Hey, I am so glad you posted about the chore charts. I love doing stuff like that. It's so much fun!
I did several of them for awhile. And I took a break with it and the boys have been asking me where the new ones are.
I made mine homemade too with a lot of help from Microsoft's clipart website, construction paper, and contact paper. One was a racetrack where the cars have to get to the finish line. Another was pizza slices, another was a bakery. I did the themed deals so that when they finished them they could get whatever the theme was (racetrack- a new hotwheel, pizza-go out for pizza, bakery-donuts for breakfast from the bakery,etc). I had just as much fun or more with it than they did! I love your idea... especially the pictures!
By the way.. when do ya'll find the time to read?! I do well to get a book read every couple of months unless I do audio and I don't even homeschool! You all must be so organized!

Anonymous said...

The pool looks great! And the snack, well, I don't know when one sounded better -- such a range of combination possibilities. What a great memory for you to have. As for the chore chart, it's cute. I may make one for myself. Maybe that can motivate me to dust. Sometimes I'm afraid that the dust bunnies are going to rise up and revolt. They seem to multiply before my very eyes, and that's not something I care to see. I struggle with dusting. It can seem so pointless. *deep sigh* Sorry...thanks for letting me vent. :)

Julia said...

Laura;
Curt was a hero to one and all, but I'm thinking he only cared about being your hero! :)

Becca:
Come on over!

Kim;
You are so creative, what cute chore chart ideas. As far as reading goes, I understand the trouble with finding time. So here is my Top 10 List on How a Mom Finds Time to Read:)
1. Nap Time!
2. Bed Time!(although I usually fall asleep when I try this)
3. Play Time (I think it's good for my boys to learn to play contentedly on their own, for a little while everyday, this is a great time for me to read.)
4. Model Reading.(if they see their parents with a love for reading, they will develope that trait as well. So go ahead and read, your being a great example for your kids. Don't try reading anything to heavy during this time, since you're going to have to stop and deal with kiddo issues, guaranteed!)
5. Car Trips
6. Early Morning. (I plan on setting my clock 1/2 hour early to get some "serious" reading done that I can't read with household distractions)
7. "Required Reading" (Most of the books I read now are "how to" books on parenting or educating, I really NEED to read this kind of stuff to keep me on top of my job.)
8. Minus Media (Matt and I decided to forego buying a TV when we got married. Not because we thought we'd fall into Hell if we had one, but we felt like it would be a waste of time for us. Now that we have kiddos,that reason stands, along with the influence a TV would be on our boys. We now have a TV for DVD/Video purposes, but we rarely use them, because there is just no time for it.
9. Mom and Kids Read time. (This is Becca's idea, and I love it. She suggested taking 1/2 hour where Mom, and the kids read quietly & independantly. My boys don't read on their own yet, but they love to look at books)
10. Bathroom. (Yes, I said it. After Daddy gets home, give him a kiss then RUN to the bathroom with your book, lock the door, and enjoy! :)) Be assured though, even with these ideas, I don't get to read everyday, by any stretch.

Sonja;
I actually thought of making a chore chart for myself. I would have to get my chores all done before I could read or blog though. I'm still thinking about it, since if I do it, I'd have to enforce it, if I wanted to avoid being a hypocrite. :) I'll let you know how that goes. :)

Kimberly said...

Hey...you need to blog again...(pressure!!!)maybe about political issues...I love your "vote for the shortest" theory!:)

just a question, I am so confused...did you mention the Don Q. book somewhere?...I don't see it..are you referring to the famous book or soemthing else that I've never heard of? Just confused, not really that important!:)

as for personal chore charts, I need one too!!...and as an aside, did you know that for years while "rooming" together, Sonja and I both did the chores we HATED most...she dusting, me Bathroom...isn't that funny!:) Not sure what our twisted motivations were, but still interesting!:)

OK...you need to blog again so I will stop rambling!:)

Kim M. said...

Hey
Thanks Julia for the reading ideas! I have a tendency to RUSH to get things done while my kids are playing or napping instead of finding "me" time. I refuse to own a TV too... although like you we have the DVD player. I know it would be a real strain on marriage relationships and a real distraction for me during the day and not to mention all the junk on there.
I love love love the Mom/Kids reading time. I try to read to my boys every night but I like that "you read while I read" Idea. I will definitely use that one!