Wednesday, June 27, 2007

On Grass, Frog Spawn, and Lapbooks

Here I sit at 10 o'clock in the morning thinking that I really need to go put that exercise video in and get rid of those 10lbs still hanging on from my Micah pregnancy. Instead though, I'm sipping a Mt.Dew and listening to my boys set up the trap for robbers in the kitchen. (you'll never convince me that boys are not born with the natural tendency to preserve and protect their territory) This week has been the usual busy, but not terribly eventful kind. SO here is an update of the mundane that I love.
Grass: It is growing!! Matt even said we might mow this weekend. Lots of weeds have sprung up with the new grass, but my green hubby assures me that this is normal and can be remedied. The back yard is still pretty much dirt/dust/mud, but who cares, we have a front yard!! Speaking of back yards, I will share a very disturbing story from our back yard. Well...maybe two. First. Two nights ago we finally got rain. We took the tarp off our pool, so it wouldn't sink beneath the weight of the rain. Late that night we could hear the frogs. This is not uncommon in the woods (we have a creek running through part of our land). I mentioned to Matt how close the frogs sounded this night. The next morning to my disgust, I found FROG SPAWN in our pool. I have to admit I was slightly tempted to leave some, for there were hundreds, just so the boys could watch them turn to tadpoles. Then again, I think it can take close to a year for a frog to mature into it's happy singing-spawning final state. Anyway, I scooped the mess out of the pool and sent them to their demise. Then wouldn't you know it, last night the little boogers (frogs) were singing their heads off again. I flipped on the light and caught them red...well actually green handed. Matt promptly went out and scooped them from the pool. Imagine having your pool used as a breeding grounds... I feel violated!

Big Man: The next disturbing story comes from the very overactive imagination of our 2 year old. We were sitting at dinner the other night and Micah says, "The man came through the landscape and he got on our trampoline. " I said, " what?" He said this again several times. I said, " what man, did you know him? Was he a big man or a big boy?" I was freaking out. Then Micah said, "He jumped on the trampoline and then he rode Siah's tricycle." Now I'm starting to think maybe we are making things up. Then I asked, "Did you know the man?" Micah said, "no, he was a big man, and he held my hand in the pool on my shark!" Ok, so I'm totally relieved by now. I asked, "did you dream this?" Micah said, " yes."
I let the boys play outside alone, but rarely does more than 5 minutes go by that I do not check up on them. So either this big man who jumps on trampolines, rides tricycles and plays with sharks is really fast, or he is a Micah creation. He exists in that little two year old mind along with the little people who live on Micah's CD player and are often eaten by the big green frog.


Lapbooks: Yesterday we spent the day with our neighbor girls. It was a rainy day, so we decided to do an indoor project. We made Lapbooks.
These are so much fun to make. We used file folders to make Lapbooks we could take to Church Camp in a month or so. The girls are older so they made Lapbooks to use to take notes during services. My boys made lapbooks to keep them busy during services. We had a great time. (Sorry the photo is blurry, after several attempts to take a still photo of two boys I gave up.)

Well, there is more I could share about my week, but I hear you yawning so I will spare you the details.


Below you will find a photo of the inside of the lapbooks.



23 comments:

Anonymous said...

Woohoo for your grass! It looks great! Frogs. Hmmmmph. They look so innocent and cute, hopping all around with their blameless little froggy faces. But turn your back for one minute and they are in your pool, you know...procreating. Nasty, nasty little creatures. Well, on second thought, I really like frogs. I'm sure that they are simply a product of their environment and are obeying one of the oldest commands. You know, go forth and multiply. That one. Oh well, I wish you the best. I grew up collecting tadpoles from a ditch out behind our house on campus. It was a wonderful experience. Hey, maybe the "big man" could help you stay on the outlook for errant "frog spawn." If he can ride sharks, surely he can control frisky frogs. Good luck!

lauralavon said...

Thanks so much for spending that time with the girls and inspiring them to scrapbook! They really enjoyed making them, and just being with you and the boys. The lapbooks will be so much fun to have as memory-joggers. I'm so blessed to have a friend like you.

Kimberly said...

cute pics. and post..and i'll be keeping an eye out for this Amazing big man...hmm, wonder where that imagination comes from?:)

Kelly S said...

I love it! - the imagination, not the frogs. We would probably have the same problem if we had a swimming pole as we have a pond and LOTS of green slimy ugly frogs. Last year we had the UGLIEST toad park itself between my front door and the screen door. It would leave for a while and then come back. Stayed there for months. I was hoping Tweetie (our cat) would eat it, but she actually became friends with it and would curl up beside it and sleep. Crazy cat.

A lot of people enjoy catching frogs and eating frog legs. Ever tried it? I have to admit David lured me into trying it once at a Chinese restaurant. Wasn't too bad but the fact it was a frog about made me gag.

We should ask Kim M. I bet Michael catches them and she's such a sweet wife, she probably fries them!

Julia said...

Sonja;
You make me laugh.

Toots:
The pleasure was ours.

Kimberly;
I'll get the big mans address for you, sounds like he might be as good as Willie N.

Kelly;
Our frogs are too little to eat. However, Matt has gone Frog-Gigging before, so he used his Gigging skills to blind the little frogs with a flashlight to get them out of the pool. I am not like Kim, I would not try to fry Frog Legs. (I've heard they still wiggle while being fried) If Matt decides someday to Frog-Gig with the boys, we can take the "catch" to his Mom's, she has the experience needed to fry frog.

Jo said...

(She clears her throat...a long dramatic pause...and this with that deep, deep voice begins...)
Jerimiah was a bullfrog (bum, bum, bum) He was a good friend of mine...

Jo said...

Froggie went a'fishing and he did ride uh-huh. Froggie went a'fishing and he did ride uh-huh.

Jo said...

E - I - E - I - O and on that farm he had a frog.. E - I - E - I - O. With a ribbit, ribbit here and a ribbit, ribbit there... Here a ribbit, there a ribbit, everywhere a ribbit, ribbit...

Jo said...

Five Little Speckled Frogs

Five little speckled frogs,
Sitting on a speckled log,
Eating the most delicuious bugs,
Yum, yum.
One jumped into the pool,
Where it was nice and cool,
Then there were four little speckled frogs.

(Repeat , working your way down to one.)

One little speckled frog sitting,
Sitting on a speckled log,
Eating the most delicious bugs,
Yum, yum.
He jumped into the pool,
Where it was nice and cool,
There there were no little speckled frogs.

Jo said...

Polly-Wog

There once was a polly named Wog
Who wanted to change to a frog,
So he dropped off his tail
Grew legs without fail
And croaked all day on a log.

Jo said...

Little Froggy

(to the tune of "I’m a Little Teapot")

See the little froggy Swimming in the pool
The water’s great- It’s nice and cool
When he gets all cleaned up Out he’ll hop
Squeaky clean From bottom to top.
See the little froggy On the lily pad
Trying to catch flies She’s getting sad.
When she catches one, She’ll gobble it up
Back in the water She’ll go kerplop!

Jo said...

I Have a Little Frog

I have a little frog
His name is Tiny Tim,
I put him in the bathtub,
To see if he could swim,
He drank up all the water,
And gobbled up the soap!
And when he tried to talk
He had a BUBBLE in his throat!

Julia said...

Jo;

You need frog therapy! :)

Kim M. said...

Julia,

Love your little guy's imagination. Sounds like some things I have heard around here!

Kelly... I have to admit. ummm... I have a bag of frog legs in the freezer. Julia, frog season is in. You could have "popcorn frog legs" since the frogs are small OR you could have frog caviar. Okay.. ew that was a nasty thought.
Michael and brother in law (married to Susanne) went frog gigging just last week and Michael informed me that these would make a great lunch for the boys (who think it's just the neatest thing ever). If they were green I just don't think I could do it, but since they have a "chicken-y" look (meaning they are white), I deal with it. The boys love watching their legs bend when they are fried. I tried them once but usually I pass. They taste good, the thought is just a little overwhelming.

Kimberly said...

I've never heard of frog-gigging,,shows how uninformed i am! I like the new look!! And MUST have the new rocking chair pic..the old one is still on the fridge, I like it so much:)

Kelly S said...

Popcorn frog legs?!! Kim, what is Michael doing to you?! Remind me if I ever come to visit you, to bring my own lunch:)

Kim M. said...

I hope you know I was only joking! Yuck, yuck yuck!

Marty said...

Love that your grass is growing...Larry has a mower if you need one....you know how he hates to mow now!!!

I am so impressed with the lap thingymagigs! I so need craft lessons!! I do scrapbook, but this is above me! Thanks for the idea..now send the pattern!

The frogs...well I have no comment or advice!

Love,
Marty

Tara said...

In memory of our twisted classmate:

I have a buddy.
My buddy's a toad.
My buddy is bloody.
He's squashed on the road.
My buddy he'll be,
My buddy he'll stay,
Till one days he's scraped and...
pooof (imagine soft blowing sound)
Blown Away.

Been gone, but I'm back now! Look forward to catchin up with ya! Sorry I couldn't resist leaving the gross poem...!

Julia said...

I welcome the gross poem, I'd forgotten that one.

Welcome back.

Tara said...

Sheesh....you know how I HATE typos! And in looking over my very tiredly-written post, it's full of 'em! Yuck! Oh well, hopefully folks can surmise what I meant to say.

Making Memories 1999 said...

LOVE the lapbooks!!! So nice!! We tried some July 4th ones while in KY at my friends house.

The grass looks great!! The frogs . . . well that's another comment for another day! :-)

See ya soon.

Julia said...

I'll send some froggies your way, Ms. Becca!

Tara;
Welcome to my world. :)