Thursday, June 21, 2007

Tributes

This weekend was a busy one, so I did not have a chance to post anything about Father's Day. So here is my typically late- for- everything Father's Day Post.

When I think of the two most important men in my life(My husband and my Dad) several words come to mind, I'd like to share just a few of them with you.

Matt

Servant-Leader: This is the definition of what Matt is to our family. While he is a capable loving leader, he serves us continually. After working himself silly all day, he comes home ready and willing to serve. He is consistently pointing us to Jesus simply by the way he takes up the "basin and towel".

Thoughtful: The first thing that attracted me to Matt was his thoughtfulness of others. Not just me, but everyone. He is always thinking ahead of how he can be helpful. He sees all people as precious, because Jesus pronounced us all precious by giving his life for all.

Vulnerable: I am always amazed at how willing Matt is to become vulnerable. I was raised to very openly speak on any topic, no topic was sacred, but vulnerable we were not. Matt, is willing to open himself. Many times when my first instinct is to close up and "protect" myself, Matt pushes through that wall. I am so touched by how much he cares for my own lost loved ones. He steps beyond where I would be naturally comfortable and speaks to them from his heart, because he cares for them so much he's willing to "feel silly or uncomfortable" .

AMAZING: I know it seems squishy and romantic to say this, and as most of you know, I am not one that is heavy on the squishy side of things. When I say I think Matt is amazing I really mean it. I still am blown away that I managed to marry a man like Matt. There is no 50/50 in our marriage. We both try to give 100%. If the trash needs to go out and Matt's not home, I get it, but if a diaper needs to be changed and he's the one holding the baby, he does it. He is just a way above average Dad. When he gets home from work, after talking with me a few minutes he is all about his boys. He is continually teaching, training, and discipling them. I hear ladies say that their husbands are "babysitting" the kids and I think WHAT? Matt and I are partners in training our little guys and it's been that way from the day we found out I was pregnant, he's not just a helper that gives me a break occasionally and will start being involved with the boys once their old enough to do "guy stuff", he is a full-time Daddy. (And is practically worshipped for it)

Goofy: Matt makes us laugh. He does the goofiest things just for our entertainment. Life is never dull in our house.

Hard Working: Matt is one of the hardest workers I know. He never stops. After a long day at work, he will come home and meet our needs and work on his "honey do" list and yet, always finds time to help a friend who may need a hand. He lives out his values. He could be making more money elsewhere, but that's not really what we value. He sees the value of working in an environment that encourages his values. He looks ahead to the future and knows that eventually the boys will be able to be more involved at work with Dad. He sees that being loyal to an employer and a business is so important in his own life and a great example to our boys. He gets to be with us at lunch and sometimes the boys and I will even meet him at work while he's on break. We appreciate how hard he works and how well he provides.

Happy Father's Day Babe, we love you and appreciate the spirit of Christ that you live out for us everyday.

Dad

Secure: I never questioned for a minute that my Dad loved me and that he would keep me safe. My Dad is a truck driver so he had to be away from home often, I remember when storms would come and we'd be heading to the basement, the only thought in my head was, "If Daddy were here this would be OK.

Cherished: I always felt like I was very special to my Dad. I can't remember a Valentine's Day that I didn't get flowers from him. (I still do to this day)

Loyalty: My Dad's friends and family could always count on him in their toughest times. In times when other friends would walk away, or people were awkward and weren't sure how to be there, my Dad was there. Giving whatever support was needed.

Smart: My Dad always underestimates himself in this area. I have learned through my study of learning styles that there are different kinds of intelligence. Just because someone doesn't enjoy the "status quo" style of education in America doesn't mean they are not intelligent. (although, Dad wasn't too shabby even in this area) Dad has the ability to see and understand and remember things. He blows my mind sometimes with his intelligence.

Intuitive: I still am amazed that my Dad can read character so well. He is rarely wrong in his judgements of others. My brothers and I have talked often of the times Dad would warn us of someone not being trustworthy or give his approval on someone and almost every time he was right.

Fun: In the summers one of my brother's and I often got to go with Dad in the truck. It was so fun. Now I admit there were long hours of boredom, but if we had the chance Dad would take us somewhere fun on the trip. I still remember dragging him on a water ride at Busch Gardens over and over again.

My Dad spent Father's Day alone on the road, he's done that many times, tis the nature of his job. But I wanted him to know that I love him and appreciate all the sacrifices he has made for me through the years.


This Weekend with Uncle Dennis & Aunt Cathy!



Uncle Dennis and Aunt Cathy with the two most important boys in my life. And Grandma Helen with the boys

This weekend we spent the weekend with Matt's Uncle Dennis and Aunt Cathy. We drove to their place with Matt's Grandma Helen on Friday afternoon and we had such a nice time. Uncle Dennis and Aunt Cathy have been like a second set of parents to Matt as he was growing up. Now they are another set of Grandparents to our boys. The boys think they are great! Thanks Uncle Dennis and Aunt Cathy for your gracious hospitality, we love you!

10 comments:

Jo said...

I feel so blessed to have such you all as friends. You guys have a beautiful relationship. I know this is a tribute to Matt and your Dad, but they sure got a pretty good deal with you! ;) We missed you all this weekend. I'm glad you had fun! Have a great day!

Jo said...

Oops sorry about the 'such.' Hee Hee! I told Wucus about Micah. His response sounded something like this...AWWWWW HAAAWWWW SWEEEEEETH! He got his wisdom teeth pulled today! Rachel had him say a tongue twister. If you can imagine the priest off of 'The Princess Bride' saying a tongue twister, you have a pretty good idea of the level of humor! ;) Poor guy, I'm sure he's wishing for some new sisters! ;)

Tara said...

Anyone who knew Juwah, knew she was a Daddy's girl. I always enjoyed the times getting to be with your parientos; lots of good memories with "Lares and Mares" (wait, wasn't that a little disrespectful of us?!? Sure never meant it to be!)

kayla said...

I'm so glad that you got such a wonderful man after so many years thinking that you would end up an "old maid". He was worth the wait.
I have great memories of your Dad coming to visit. I enjoyed getting to go for rides in his truck. He is the only man who taught me to never to say "sir". I always felt so disrespectful when he was around, but I never called him "sir" after the first correction.
Has he been in any airplane weddings recently?

Kimberly said...

I think your Dad is great as well...and glad that i LIKE Matt too...wouldn't it be bad if we disliked a friend's spouse? anyway, he has a true-blue heart..easy to see...and (I just have to use this quote from our very distinguished professor friend)"I see no rebellion in that young man" It's the truth!:)

sarahmfry said...

We can't keep fish alive - hoping we have better luck with a puppy.

Anonymous said...

From one of those "old maids" :), I'm so incredibly happy that God has blessed you with Matt. And I also believe that the reverse is true as well. Matt has been blessed with you. Your relationship and the way you are raising your family is a beautiful and encouraging thing to watch. A very well stated tribute to two great men. Blessings!!

Kelly S said...

I just tried to send you an email but it got returned to me with an error. Can you re-send me your address? kelly.s@fuse.net.

Thanks for your comment on my blog. I'm back! I've been on vacation. I have tons of catchin' up to do! Haven't had a chance to read any blogs yet. Will try to get to it Monday night.

Making Memories 1999 said...

Beautiful tribute to the special men in your life!! Thanks so much for sharing!!

BTW, the kids really enjoyed the swimming get-together last week. Thanks again for the invitation!!

Julia said...

Becca;
We loved having you all, come any time.