Thursday, October 4, 2007

A Myriad of Thoughts

Ok so my mind has been going as usual. I normally don't write my rambling mind, but tonight I'm feeling crazy.

* On motherhood.....servanthood.
I must confess, before children I never really thought of myself as an impatient person. If someone was annoying or "pushed my buttons" I could usually let it go pretty easily. No biggie right, silly to stress over the small stuff, I can't change people. Then I had kiddos. I've discovered that when these little ones, as much as I love them, get annoying or "push my buttons" I can't just ignore it. I have to deal with it, cause I'm responsible to mold their character. I realized a while back where the impatience comes from, and it's source is not exactly something of which I'm proud. You see I understand that most of the time when I feel impatient it's because I'M being interrupted or inconvenienced. I have an agenda for the day and these little people keep interrupting ME with their behavior. The idea that I am to be a servant to all as a follower of Christ means more than just a servant to strangers. That while I sing Make Me a Servant on Sunday, it means on Monday when there is a great battle over who had what first or when the potty is covered with...well, you know, cause somebody didn't keep their legs together AGAIN, that is when I am called to be a servant. Jesus help me to take up the basin and the towel not just for a world in need, which at times is an easier task, but to take them up daily for two little guys who need to see you in my life.
* On Aging.
I've noticed as I get older that I tend to be more emotional in some areas, less in others. Less in the sensitive feelings and more in the sadness of sin and thankfulness to God. The other day I was driving alone (a rare occasion) and was listening to the news. A report on ANOTHER child abuse case came over the airwaves. I literally became ill. I had to stop listening and pull my thoughts in another direction lest I lose my lunch. It never ceases to amazing me how devalued children are in our culture. How a mother can hold her kicking, clawing, babies under water until they die is just beyond my scope of understanding. A bigger mind boggeler is that somehow the mother becomes the victim. Now I have compassion on women who suffer from Post pardom. I think most of us Mom's have an idea of how that can feel, perhaps not to furthest extent, but an inkling none the less. So when I hear about young Mom's who in times of high stress, screaming baby, little sleep and no help, shaking their baby to death, well, I am horrified, but I can feel compassion. But in my opinion that is a world apart from what we've been hearing in the news the last few years. And it seems, everyone is a victim, except for the children. God help us.
*On Rosh Hashannah and Yom Kippur.
If you are a faithful reader you will know the boys and I have been studying ancient history. Two weeks ago we "crossed" the Red Sea and are now at the foot of Mt. Sinai. Therefore the last few weeks we have been learning about some of the High Holy Days of the Jewish people. Very enlightening. When God gave the 10 Commandments to Moses, it was like He was trying to establish a basis for relationship again with His creation(they had most likely been worship idols the last few hundred years). He is a holy God and He wants a holy people. So He gave Moses a set of laws to let the Jews know how their relationship would work. He would love and protect they would honor and obey. Unfortunately, as human nature turns out, they began to worship the law and not the Law Giver. So God sent His son. In Jesus they would see relationship, understand what God expected from them and what He wanted for them. But not just for them, for us, for the world.
As the Jews celebrate Rosh Hashannah they not only welcome a new year they also review their lives and hope that they have somehow been "good" enough to make it into the "book of life". They have 8 days to do good deeds and beg God's forgiveness for their sins over the past year and then on Yom Kippur the books are closed, their fates are sealed. What God offered in Jesus is the blood sacrifice that not only covers our sin if we ask, but He offered an example in a life lived sinless. A life not bogged down in the sin/good deed cycle. But a life full, alive and in love with the Creator. So Thankful!
*On Friends and Free Tickets
We had a really fun surprise on Friday! Becca called and said she had 4 FREE tickets for a Steven Curtis Chapman Concert. WOO HOO! So we sattled up our horses and off we went. I so enjoyed the fun, uplifting concert. Call me a heathen, but I don't go to concerts with any other expectation than to just enjoy good clean christian entertainment. But, I left with that and a whole lot more. The words to so many of SCC's songs so ministered to my heart. Songs that encouraged me to be a servant, to live like Jesus and to Dive into (ie trust) Him completely.

And so I will leave you with that, such as it is. Perhaps I will later post a photo album of some of life's happenings here. So good to be on this journey of life with good friends like you.

16 comments:

Kimberly said...

Totally confused on this post's date....but so happy you shared these rambling thoughts w/us!:)So great about the tickets!!! And totally with you on literally feeling sick about the abuses so very often in the news. While I can be quite "liberal" on capital punishment...I lose all sense of balance and think no punishment is enough for molesters!! And, while not a fan of "excuses", I do think these mothers must be psychotic (a whole level up from post-partum)in some cases...and so grateful to know that these poor children are eternally safe from all this world's craziness.

I heard a man talking about being raised in Orthodox Judaism. So sad for him that his view of God is so punitive and dictatorial...there's just not enough rules that can make us "good enough"...so thankful with you that only Jesus can do that! (also amazed by the many similarites I saw between that system and ANY type of religion that overuses rules!!)

Your thoughts were not exactly "lovely" but good to read, nevertheless! Love Ya!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Thanks so much for sharing some good thoughts! Have enjoyed learning more about the O.T. from you all, as you've gone through it. (Thanks for letting me "sit" in on your classes!!) Really enjoyed the concert Friday night!! Thanks for going! Have a great week!!

Liz said...

WOW! What a great and thought provoking post! I really enjoyed it. You really made me think about my own impatience concerning little ones....it really is easy to lose sometimes.(speaking of this..my daughter just walked in to the living room while i was typing with a shirt on and cowboy boots and nothing else and said "Mommy you need to fix us some lunch", she apparently thinks the only necessary garb is a shirt and boots! Ha!) Thanks again for reminding us that our little ones depend on us daily to reflect a Christ-like attitude and spirit in every aspect( not only while singing hymns on Sundays;)

emily said...

Julia,
I am with you right now on the horror of abuse. I am very sorry to say, that a man from our church just got put in prison for raping a child. My first response was sickness, hatred for the sin & deception & then overwhelming pity for the child & then a grim determination & prayer of protection over my own children.
I know you heard it on the news & it seems far away...but very few would have ever suspected this person. Thank God, I had my gut feelings & had spoken to my husband about the way I felt. Not trying to preach...but it is everywhere & I trust my 6th sense even when it doesn't make sense to others.
Hope to see you at YC...If I can make it. I just got out of the hospital last week & am gathering strenth. Baby #4 is not letting me by easy!
Take care!

lauralavon said...

Thanks for sharing, Jules. I enjoyed reading.

Julia said...

Becca;
So sorry Sunshine girl is under the weather. Thanks again for the fun double date.

Liz;
Is there more than shirts and boots? :) I've heard it said that once you finally get all the parenting stuff figured out your kids are grown. Well, we just trust Jesus and do our best huh?

Emily;
I had no clue you were even expecting, congrats! So hope to see you all at YC. I'm with you on the creepy feelings we ladies get for no explained reason at times. I pay close attention when I get that feeling. So sorry for the precious little one who was hurt. We will keep her/him in our prayers.

Liz said...

Juwah...nothing else...bare bottomed and all...she has started this thing where she will just walk into the room totally naked!!!! She discovered she could take off her clothes an does it whenever she gets the chance. It just so happened that she left her shirt on and decided to "jazz" up the look with cowboy boots! Here I am posting a comment on parenting issues and such.......bout died laughing.
On the abuse issue...I too have to pray hard and try to getmy mind on other things bc I actually find myself dwelling on it and shuttering. I have even had horrid nightmares concerning the issue. I can't fathom how someone can hurt a child but to hurt them in such a grotesque way is unimaginable! I am praying everyday for her continued protection.

kayla said...

Great perspective on motherhood and servanthood.
I totally get where you are coming from on the whole abuse thing. Sometimes I am tempted to lock mine up in the house to protect them from this world around us. So thankful for that mother's intuintion that God has so graciously given us. I think it must be one of the "spiritual gifts" that Christian mothers are a little more blessed with than others.
Glad that you had fun at the concert.
Sure wish I could come to YC. Oh, well maybe we shall meet again someday.
Love ya.

jenny said...

Really encouraging words to inspire more patience. Tom's been away and my patience has been ebbing on empty so good, good reminder.
Was moved to tears last night (again a little emotional with Tom away :-) at children's church as we sang one of SCC song...don't even know the title but the words were something like..."what about the change? what about the difference? i want my life to show I'm undergoing The change!" It was so neat to watch my boys singing it so wholeheartedly and I was able to join in (if through tears) and pray God helps them to see His change working through our family.

Julia said...

Jenny;

Funny you should mention that SCC song, I almost posted the lyrics to that one, but figured my post was long enough without it. thata song is one of my favorites, such a good message. What a joy to see your kiddos grasping and then walking in that truth. That is my prayer for my own little ones. I understand the tears, the other night Josiah said in his prayer, "Help me to be a follower of you." talk about tears.

Liz;
Love the mental picture! Too funny.

Kayla;
Would love to see you at YC. too bad. We are coming down in May for Steven's graduation. We will definately save at least one day for a HS visit, so we'll see you then for sure.

Tara said...

Enjoyed this myriad of thoughts. I identify with many of these musings. Absolutely have recognized that very tendency to be most annoyed when I feel I'm being inconvenienced. It's easier to guard against once it's been identified and called out for what it is!
Also, along with you and Emily, can become PHYSICALLY ill over the stories in the news. Sometimes I will peruse a headline, and choose not to know the details...it's just too sickening. Having been a mother for 8 yrs now, I am a firm believer and "truster" of my gut where my kids are concerned...and even some other areas as well. Partly because I've identified discernment as one of my spiritual gifts areas, and mostly because I believe in Mother's Intuition. Never squelch that voice inside.

Very happy for you in your fun and uplifting night out for Sc2. Times like that are so important, aren't they?

I am looking forward to the great possibility that we may spend some time together on the Saturday of YC. Will you still be there then? I wanted to be there for Visions's Concert on Friday night, SO BAD...but I think that's a longshot right now. But if you'll still be there on Sat., let me know. 'Kay?!

Great post.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for your thoughts. Many have commented about the horror of child abuse from a mother's standpoint. The horror I am more familiar with is the lasting affects abuse has on its victims. In my work, I have spent time with several girls whose former abuse hovers like an inky blackness over their lives - haunting them, keeping them from being able to love and trust, affecting so many aspects of their lives. It breaks my heart. God help us.

Thank you for the reminder about patience. God has been speaking to me about surrendering the "right" to a day free from those "interruptions". As I give up my tight grip on my time and my agenda, I find that my peace can remain intact. (Haven't learned this lesson completely, but I'm working on it!!)

Also love that SCC song; however, it always makes me think about menopause. :) It is entitled "The Change".

Anonymous said...

''''''''''''''''''''''''''''''":;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;?

This comment is from Carson. He's helping me type.

Queen Essie said...

Juwah -
Wow, what a post! I was just talking similiar thoughts with my mom the other day.

I struggle with the patience thing, too, but mine has only been in recent years. Almost feels like one day my patience just disappeared - I have heard of people having mood changes after having a hysterectomy (sp?) but I lost my patience after having mine - no pun intended there! ha So it is even more frustrating to everyone in my family now, because they were used to momma having a much longer fuse.

My biggest problem occurs when the children want to "help" with something. I know I need to be the one to teach them the particulars and I really want to, but sometimes it is so much quicker and easier just to do it myself. Instead of having more work to do cleaning up the "mess of their help". I love spending time with my kids and I love seeing that satisfaction on their eyes when they have mastered a new task - I do not want to be the one to stifle that creativity or pride in workmanship. I believe, this is yet another major point of character a mother faces & if we can find the strength in God to power us through, we will be a better example to those little eyes watching our actions and reactions!

Maybe I should've posted this as a blog instead of a comment, since I am being a bit lengthy here! I'll try not to take up so much space next comment - maybe.

Take care, Essie

Kelly S said...

I really enjoyed this post. Learned something new about the Jewish traditions. Very interesting.

I just realized I never got back with you about YC. I didn't respond right away because I was waiting for David to figure out his schedule. He's out of town until Saturday morning. I don't know what I would do with the kids before then. I'll email you. Like Tara, I wish SO BAD I could come to hear you sing Friday night!

Marty said...

Tottally agree with this post...thanks for reminding me of the best things in life!!

I'm with you on the child abuse thing!!