Friday, January 18, 2008

Middle Aged?

Well I suppose I'm middle aged, right? I guess if I live to be 70 than 35 makes me middle aged.(then again, if I live to be 100, I've got a ways to go.) Wow, I don't feel middle aged, but feel or no that's what I am. I've used more wrinkle cream lately, and can't help but wish that all those years in Florida I would have worn sunblock and read more books while at the beach as opposed to soaking up all those wrinkle creating rays. I very rarely burned and I so enjoyed the feeling of sun on my skin, I never bothered with sunblock. Ah well, we live and learn. But be forewarned my 20 something friend as you run off to the beach, spend the $10 now on sunblock or deal with the $20 wrinkle cream later. :). I woke my birthday morning early. I met several of my girlfriends for breakfast. So fun. I'm so thankful to have these lovely ladies in my life. We have fun together, yet they always seem to challenge me to love Jesus more. At home when I walked back in the door at 8am I was "surprised" with a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOMMY! And so the day went on as normal. A very nice birthday, Matt took me out for dinner that evening and then we browsed leisurely at Barnes and Noble. (this is one our favorite activities) A very nice day indeed. Even a Krispy Kreme Donut in lieu of a birthday cake. woo hoo!
Saturday we hosted Parenting Class. I so enjoyed the lesson this month. I was reminded once again of what a powerful tool for reaching the world for Christ our families can be. To glorify God is to give God a good reputation, it is by our actions and attitudes that we can do this. It is our lives that make God bigger to the world. We live in a culture that has been inundated with weird images of what it means to be "christian". If you watch TV (which happens to be to driving force of our cultures worldview) for any amount of time, you'll run across some character portraying "Christianity" as whacked out or completely out of touch with reality. Or worse yet turn to a "christian" TV station and find a circus of entertainers singing, dancing, healing, and crying all followed up with a plea for money. It's no wonder the world has no concept of what it really means to be a true follower of Christ. And no wonder they aren't interested in Christianity. In this atmosphere I could tell someone I'm a Christian or hand them Christian literature, but the images and ideas that the term Christian conjures up for them is far from what I want to communicate and will probably influence their willingness to listen to my words. However, my life can speak volumes and the power of the combined lives of a family is a force to be reckoned with. A Father and Mother who truly love and serve each other. Children who respect their parents as well as their siblings, and are thoughtful of the people around them. A family that sees the preciousness in others and treats them as such. This is an image of Christ that people are drawn to. This has been the most powerful tool I've ever experienced and it has opened doors for me to have an influence for Christ to others. Don't get me wrong I think there is a place for missions, homeless shelters, and crisis centers. But for us Mom's whose primary responsibility is to train and mold little lives, remember you are a minister. Not only, to your hubby and children, but in loving them, training them, and by understanding as a family that people are precious, you open doors to minister to your neighbors, the people at the store, the teacher at music lessons. They may never be open to a conversation that starts with "Do you ever think about God or spiritual things?" but they may come to you and say, "how do you get your kids to obey you?" "How do you get your husband to take the trash out?" "Do you and Matt ever fight?" I've been asked these questions and I see these as open doors to sharing the hope that lieth within me. They asked, they're open. What a challenge to be a vigilant wife, mother, and person. For a much higher call than "good kids, nice marriage" but for the high calling of reflecting Jesus to a lost world.

16 comments:

lauralavon said...

You brought back memories of when I watched that parenting video several years ago, Jules. I too saw in--a new light--what an effect such a family can have. Thanks for a refreshing reminder.

Charity said...

Happy birthday to you!!! Wow- just think... I'll be 27 soon- heehee... It's so wonderful being married to a man whose peers are so much older ;o) Just kidding. Being a parent to Kathryn has got to add a few years on me at least. Something like aging in warp speed. Anyways, I enjoyed your thoughts on parenting. Amen, sister! I was just at Wal-Mart yesterday, and someone said about Alex, "I'll bet he'll be a football player someday~ lots of money, you know." And I said, "I don't care if my kids are mayors or just mommies, as long as they do what God wants them to do." She perked up at that~ hopefully, she saw past the spitting baby and hyper kid and saw Jesus in us.

Kimberly said...

Again...Happy, Happy Bday!!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Happy b-day, friend! Enjoyed your thoughts about family and the impact it can have to the world around. So true!! Thanks for sharing and encouraging!

sarahmfry said...

How encouraging and inspiring!

In fact, I'm so encouraged I think I'll go dress three crooked little arrows for church.

By the way? Which parenting video are you all referring to? I'm a resources junkie and would love a new suggestion.

Unknown said...

Happy belated birthday. Thank you for this post! Coming from a home where I was "raised" and not "trained" this whole motherhood world can be baffling. Thankfully my husband was on the receiving end of some wonderful training and he's teaching me well. Your post was like a breath of spring air. Thank you. Blessings,Marianne Brown

kayla said...

Happy, Happy B-day Carlos, I mean Juwah. I hope you find my song as amusing as your brother did.
Be glad you only have to worry about the wrinkle cream. Now that I've had a couple of pre-melanomas removed I should thank you for all the times you insisted that I wear sunblock. My problem with mid-thirties is that you have to wear wrinkle cream and acne cream at the same time. Someone should have warned us.

Julia said...

Toots; (I just love calling you that) Thanks for introducing me to the videos, we have learned much from them and other resourses you have shared.

Charity;
You little brat! hee hee Tis true Nate robbed the cradle with you, but we're so glas he did. I love having you as a friend. :)

Kimber & Becca;
Thanks! Love ya friends.

Sarah;
The series we are watching now is Growing Kids God's Way from Growing Families International. I don't like to be thought of as a "fan" of any particular person or ideal, however I have read/watched LOTS of parenting helps and found this to be so very useful. Especially for heart training and understanding the why of what we are doing. So glad you were encouraged. It's tough work straightening those little bent folks.:)

Marianne;
Welcome. (I think this is your first comment?) So glad you stopped by. You are so right, the job of training little ones is quite overwhelming. I try to remember that it is a process. And like you, I too am so glad to have a willing involved Daddy who is right in the thick of it with me.

Kayla;
You made me laugh out loud. Thanks for bringing a smile to my face...again.

Anonymous said...

I refuse to believe that 35 is middle aged. How could it be? However, I am finding more and more gray hair. (If I find a gray hare, I'm out of here.) Happy belated birthday! (I just took off the sackcloth and ashes.)

Bravo to you for this post. I'm (obviously) not a parent, but I say a hearty "amen" to you that your family is indeed a powerful witnessing tool. God bless you as you wield it well!

Anita Marie said...

Happy belated Birthday and please don't tell me 35 is middle age. I enjoyed reading your thoughts on living a Christ like life before others. It is the greatest witness.

Anita Marie said...

Bye the way, Did you ever manage to call your UK friends?

Liz said...

Well I am joining this post commentary late, but amen to the sunblock. Wish I would have listened to my momma when she tried to convince me that "redheads just don't tan". You would think after numerous burns and breakouts of hideous freckles that I would have gotten it.!!! Happy birthday and thanks so much for adding my to your blog roll.....I feel so loved!!! Ha!!

Kelly S said...

Happy belated birthday! I'm glad you had a nice time. Sounds like a very special day.

Wow, I think I would have been begging my friends to let me sleep in for my birthday and to take me out at night after the kids are in bed:) I hate mornings. Remember me missing every other chapel service because I couldn't get myself out of bed? Pathetic - and to think that now I start work at 4 a.m. yuck!

I really enjoyed this post. I think all mommies need a reminder every once in a while that we do minister in ways we may not even realize at times. It's easy to forget at times!

Kim M. said...

No fair... how do you get all these comments? I am happy to get 5 or 6. Oh well, life goes on.
I enjoyed your thoughts on parenting. I know I need all the help I can get. Especially nights like tonight where I was practically sitting on my boys to calm them down at bedtime.

And Happy Belated Birthday!

Marty said...

Happy Belated B-Day! I need you to email me your phone # and a good time to call. I have a few questions, I'M SURE You can Answer! ha! No, I'm serious, I'm looking for some school stuff! love ya! Oh, I never knew about sunscreen in college. I get a better tan now using the stuff than not...think of it!

J Luck said...

Happy belated B-day Julia, I'm right there with ya (in fact, did you go first or did I? I can never remember...)

And you should have ALL listened to me in college. I Know I preached sunscreen often and loudly!
Hmmph.