Monday, January 26, 2009

God Box



The other day I was speaking to a gentleman and in the course of the conversation he said, “Well you don’t think we can ever be in God’s perfect will, do you? We certainly can be in His permissive will, but we are humans. We cannot be in His perfect will.” Inside, my mind was reeling. “What does that mean? Where do those ideas and terms come from? Why even ask the question?” Outside, I just said, “Well, I’m not exactly sure what you mean by perfect will and permissive will. The conversation went on congenially. He is a precious man who I respect, and he has wisdom that I would be a fool to ignore. However, his question got my mind to turning.

Why do we do that? Why do we have the compulsion to put everything into neat little boxes, especially when it comes to God? Perhaps we get overwhelmed by how big God is and how much we really will never be able to completely wrap our minds around Him. Or perhaps we feel the need of the security that “knowing” brings. I suppose our human answer is to categorize, outline and alliterate our relationship with Him into a neat package that can be put into a book, sermon, or theology class notes.

Don’t get me wrong, I understand more now than ever my need for true Bible study. Not just reading a few chapters and checking that duty off my list, but the need to bathe myself in the word. To eat, as it where, the bread of life and let it become part of me, to change me from within. To take in His perspective and let it change how I see life, how I think, how I act. But is it helpful to make our charts? Does it encourage me to question my heart and motives (which after all is what Jesus is most concerned with) to have an outline that I can check off and then go about my life? If I already have it all figured out and have given it my own man-made terms, then do I really come to scripture open and ready to conform myself to it’s teachings as opposed to making it fit into mine?

I know that as humans we are limited. We can only communicate with language, and so at some point there may be a need for charts and outlines. However, when I look at what a relationship ought to be, I can’t help but think how meaningless a relationship would become if we had to categorize everything. I can see it now. Matt and I have a contract, I do the dishes everyday, however on days that I am unwell, busy or otherwise predisposed he is to awaken early and unload the dishwasher. This is called prevenient love. On days when I unload the dishwasher, even if I’m not feeling well, all because Matt has provided food from which I gain strength to do the said task, this is called provisional love. Sounds crazy doesn’t it? Takes the beauty of Matt and I both doing all that we can for the other simply out of love and trust, doesn’t it? The further danger is that the contract becomes our law, and so I only do what is specified in the contract, because that is all that is required in order to still be married. Furthermore, I have the “right” to be mad if Matt doesn’t fulfill all of my expectations of what I read into the contract. It turns beautiful acts of love and devotion into servitude, and it gives permission to do what I want within the bounds of the contract. Somehow we go from being focused on the other to being focused on ourselves.

What I’m learning is that I don’t need to focus on all the terms if my heart is where it should be. If I am completely surrendered to my Father’s will, if I wholeheartedly trust Jesus with my life , than the obvious desire of my heart will be to please him, to obey him, to study his life and teachings. My understanding at this point is that if I am there, if I am honest before my God and willing to do, go , or be whatever would please Him, than I am acceptable in His sight. Perhaps we should take the energy that we spend on terms and “what ifs” and do the hard work of examining our hearts, asking ourselves the tough questions, crying out, “Search me O God and know my heart today.”

Before I close let me add a disclaimer. I realize that ideas have consequences. Some ideas must be addressed because of the consequence of following after them. So often, terms and charts must be discussed for good reason. Even in this, the terms or ideas are not the focus though; the focus is coming to the place of a heart fully surrendered to God. But that is for another blog…..

5 comments:

Anita Marie said...

You put it all into words so well. Over the last few years I've been learning more and more about not putting God or my relationship with him in a box.

lauralavon said...

Good stuff, Jules. Appeciate the thought-provoking post.

Kimberly said...

Good thoughts!!...good differing between "law" and "love"...anything can become "a box"....but I think that is more difficult if we are "OK" with a few unanswered questions and open to not living in our own certainty.

(made me think of the book "Your God is too small" Phillips)

Anonymous said...

Good reasoning. like it very much.

Timotheos said...

For the record, I just want to disagree with the statement that your friend made: “Well you don’t think we can ever be in God’s perfect will, do you? We certainly can be in His permissive will, but we are humans. We cannot be in His perfect will.”

If, we are not in God's perfect will, whose will are we in? Ours. On the surface, that sounds possible, but is it?

Is God in control? Don't the Scriptures declare His sovereign control over everything? If, perchance I could avoid being in His perfect will, aren't I then more powerful than God?

I now this sounds academic, but it isn't. Your insights are extremely relevant. No true child of God desires to be out of God's Will. And, we are all seeking to walk in accord with His Will.

Where do we discover His Will? Clearly, again, it is in Scripture. We may disagree with some of the semantics. But, we can't disagree that we are 'to love the Lord, with all of our heart, soul, mind and strength, and to love our neighbor as ourself.' The Scripture expounds God's Moral Will and instructs what we should and shouldn't do.

And, God has a Perfect Will, it is His Will that IS accomplished. Yet, we are to walk by faith and trust in Him, and seek Him in and through our lives.

One excellent work on God's Will is 'Decision Making and the Will of God' by Gary Friessen (sp.)