Thursday, January 29, 2009

Tying Strings



We got snow! A lot of snow! Here in southern Illinois we don't see a lot of snow. We get cold and wet, but rarely a sparkling cover of whiteness like we have seen this week. It started falling Monday night, but I assumed by Tuesday morning it all would be gone. It was with joy that we awoke to a yard and woods full of snow. I started to mentally plan my day. "We would have a snow day, no school. I would bundle the boys up and send them out for some much needed outdoor recreation. I would do the dishes, throw in a load of laundry then put the kettle on and curl up with a good book to enjoy my....er, I mean our day off."


As Matt was getting ready for work, I excitedly told him I was going to give the boys a snow day. He innocently said, "You should go out and play with the boys." I gave him the look. He said, "They would love it." Hmmm? What to do? Then I heard the ideas I once read ringing in my mind. "I can discipline my children and they will be well behaved. I can train them in morality and they will have ethics. But it is the time I spend with them, it is giving up my own agenda and enjoying life with them that ties their hearts to mine. It is each act of selflessness, of enjoying what they enjoy that ties their hearts to mine. String by string a relationship is built. A relationship that will endure them to me and to the God I represent. A relationship that will stave off rebellion, that will lead them to Christ.


Suddenly that cup of hot chocolate and book didn't look quite so enticing. So we donned our snow things and trekked through the snow. We threw snowballs, we were snowplows we laughed and I tied strings. In 20 years I will never remember on what days I got to relax and have "me time". I do believe though, I will remember playing with my boys. I'll remember because by God's kindness they will be beside me, not only as my sons, but hopefully as my brothers in Christ.

11 comments:

Liz said...

I love that. And that is really "what matters most."

Kelly S said...

Hush already, will ya?! Now the guilt sets in:) Just kidding. Such a good reminder! Thanks for sharing!

Kimberly said...

Such a GREAT pic..Love it!! you can have that snow! sounds like a good day.

Charity said...

Absolutely love the picture!!! And what a great reminder, when I'm asked to play UNO once AGAIN!

lauralavon said...

I love the picture! And you're so right about "what matters most."

Unknown said...

Wow! You brought tears to my eyes! Family is SOOO important and nothing can replace time spent with them. I love my children and sometimes I may long for peace and quiet and a cleaner/neater house. I will have that one day when they grow up and make homes of their own, but then I will wish my children back home. I remind myself of that on days when everything seems to be going wrong and chaos is everywhere. All that matters is that they see Christ through me and that they desire a relationship with Him.

Jo said...

Beautiful, my friend! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Great story...I have loved our snow here in Maine. I so wish I could have had a couple snow days. I have been so dedicated to work. It seems the sun shines so pretty the day after the snow storm...I can't wait to share it with my daughter. Thanks for the advice on the pacifier. I had a surprise shower, but no gifts of pacifier...I don't think I had it on my registry. But I will get one very soon. Now that the room is organized I can move on with other things. Like packing...we are just 5 weeks from D day.

kayla said...

In my heart I know what you say is true, sometimes it helps to be brought back to reality. It helps me to pay attention to the stories that seem to last all day.

sarahmfry said...

Oh. I'm so glad I popped over to your blog. That was a powerful piece. Wish I had a magazine somewhere where I could publish it.

Marty said...

Julia...I am crying..thank you for the reminder!! I will say that after school today we had a "race" on the tramp...Mom lost!!! But what laughter we had!!