Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Meet the Presidents

It has been a very busy summer, thus explaining my absence from the blog world. Lots of mowing, lots of chair building, lots of running in general. We are now in the midst of trying to prepare our back yard for a bigger pool this year. And so the "To Do" list never ends. I'm not complaining, I know this is the phase we are in at this point in our lives. Find me a 30-something aged couple(especially with kiddos) and I'll show you a couple of insanely busy folks. Someday when the boys are gone and our landscape is done and our house is clean, we'll look at each other and say, "I wonder if the kids need help with their yards?" I know we will miss the constant questions about some new creature they have found and brought to the door for inspection.

Speaking of creatures, I am officially calling this the "Summer of Creatures". I have unsuspectingly answered the door to find the following creatures in the hands of a boy..... a dead rabbit, turtles, spiders, worms, ants, and I'm sure there have been more I just can't recall. I started washing out peanut butter jars and leaving them in the garage for our explorers to place their charges. We also decided after several creatures into the summer that we should start naming our creatures after the presidents(this is a tricky way to teach your kids). So without further ado, I introduce to you.....(drum roll please...)

GEORGE WASHINGTON(btw, that's Matt's boot, so the spider is covering that much area on an adult male's boot!)


and JOHN ADAMS

15 comments:

Kimberly said...

Funny...(& very tricky, but in a very good way!:)

Tara said...

UGH! With a sinking thud, Tara realizes that she also has two boys. Was Andrew Pudewa right or what?!?

p.s. Remember our "snaky snaky" ceremonial dance at Blowing Rocks? :)

Jo said...

Okay, I've done some interesting things to get information stuck in little brains, but ya'll are on a whole different playing field! :) What a great idea! Maybe you could name creatures corresponding to the historical outcome of the Presidential terms?!! For example "yuckier" creatures for those historical oopses! :)

Kelly S said...

Do you need to borrow my shoe to squash those things?!!

Kim M. said...

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!! PUT THAT DOWN... NOW!!!!!!!!

that's what I screamed the other day when Jonathan held up a snake.

Poor kid thought it was a worm. And ya know what he said later? He said, "now that I've held a snake, I'd like one for a pet".

Thankfully it was just a garden snake. I think I've gained some gray hair over that one.

Jonathan LOVED your critter pictures... and I do have to agree that you are pretty creative at teaching your kids. And I also love the peanut butter jar idea. I've been trying to figure out what to do with all these critters at our house too so thanks for the tips. :-)

Making Memories 1999 said...

You're sneaky!! Way to go!

Charity said...

Nathan and I think you're one sick lady! Naming a spider~ that like gives them dignity! UGH... Please tell me my cute bundle of love isn't going to grow up to bring me critters. (Kathryn brings me flowers... ok, weeds)

J Luck said...

You and Kim M are my heros. I really need to do better on my parenting-of-boys skills.
I'm just not so good at the whole messy and buggy things.

sarahmfry said...

I love it. Thanks for the cool idea. After the kids earned their bug jars from the library summer reading program, we had tears shed after the first pet ant escaped. Actual tears! A black ant! Bugs and pets are a serious thing, for sure!

And that spider is sickeningly huge. I'm literally shivering.

Kimberly said...

Since we have formally been introduced I thought I would leave a post to say...."I read your blog....:)" Hope you had a good ride home.lol

Anonymous said...

Not a great fan of spiders, but I say a big YAY for the salamander. And bravo to you for the creative naming. I had a dog named Benjamin Franklin once. However, unlike his namesake, he wasn't extremely wise or inventive. I think that was most likely due to the influence of his owners.

Anonymous said...

Julia,
do your boys take Suzuki violin?
Jody

Julia said...

Jody;

Yes, Josiah is in a Suzuki String program. Suzuki is especially great for young children.

J Luck said...

thanks, I'm considering putting the kids into Suzuki violin in the fall. the only negative comment I keep getting is that they don't learn to read music soon enough. But I've discovered that it is up to the individual teacher, so that is something I just need to ask her.

Julia said...

Jody;

I heard the note reading argument too. However, the children in our conservatory have no trouble with the transition. The positive side is very young children can start music and develope an ear without the "weight" of trying to learn how to read at 3 or 4. Like you said though, so much depends on the teacher, so I would check him/her out and go listen to some of his/her older students play. This is always a good indication. Does he/she have any students who have made Orchestras? I know not all Suzuki programs are the same. Good luck.(no pun intended.) Let me know if I can be of any help.