Monday, January 24, 2011

Boys!


Today I'm helping my eldest with violin practice. He's learning to play the hymn, "What Wondrous Love is This". So I'm trying to explain what the writer was communicating in this song. I said, "Bub, the person who wrote this song is amazed that God, who is perfect and made everything would love us so much that he would leave heaven to come be our example...even when we were sinful and ugly." His eyes are wide, I think I'm making some progress so I wax eloquent. "Do you think when you communicate this song it should sound like this(here I start singing staccato)what. won.drous. love. is. this. o. my. soul. o. my. soul. what. won.derous. love. is. this. o. my. soul." His face is creased with lines of distaste. I'm sure he's getting my point, so I go on. "Or do you think it should sound more like this(here I burst into my attempt at a beautiful legato version of the song). His face brightens, he's impressed, I can tell. "So bub, which do you think would best communicate the words? His face seems a little perplexed again, but he answers, "I think the second way would be best...but Mommy, I think you have a little boogie in your nose."


Well so much for my attempt to teach the beauty of artistically communicating a message through song. He's a 7 year old boy who is easily distracted...especially by boogies. :)

4 comments:

Making Memories 1999 said...

Definately LOL!!! Thanks for sharing "the good, the bad, and..." the boogies! =)

Julia said...

Glad you enjoyed it Becca. I remembered after posting this that he actually said "Nos-trile" instead of nose....he was so serious...I wasn't. :) Hope you all have a safe trip today.

Anonymous said...

Love, love, love it!! (This should not surprise you.) :)

Kim M. said...

That is SO funny and sounds just like a boy!