Monday, January 17, 2011

Decorating on a Dime Part 2

I didn't get as much done as I had hoped today. School went longer than expected. Some days we are done by 2pm and other days....well, let's just say we got our learning in for sure. :) I will post a few photos of what we did get done, with more to come later. Hope you enjoy.


This is my dresser. In it's past life it was stained a light brown and had a 1960's style shiny varnish on it. We sanded it down...not all the way down to the wood(there's just so much my poor arms can take), but enough to get the varnish off. After that we painted it with two coats of regular latex paint, after that dried we painted one coat of oil-based paint. I think if we had to do it again, we may have used a primer first and then just painted with the oil-based black. We are learning as we go. The art work is supper simple. Buy canvas(I got mine at Hobby Lobby when they were 50% off), then buy a stencil (Hobby Lobby $8) and twallah, you've got art. I rolled two canvas with white paint and two with black. Then after much trial and error we found that spray paint works best for the stencil.


This is Matt's dresser and we did the same thing to his as we did mine.



The mirror above Matt's dresser serves as wall art. I got it for $5 at Walmart(it's actually an over the door full length mirror). I used a wall rub on it to make it more interesting. The box on Matt's dresser is from Walmart as well. It serves as storage for all the strange things that come out of his pockets after work, but I'm not allowed to throw away. It's one of those male mysteries. :)
We put the tiles up on our headboard tonight. The 12X12 tiles we purchased at Menard's for around $6 a piece. We cut luon(sp? It's very thin wood) into squares slightly smaller than the tiles. We painted the front of the luon white and trimmed the sides in black. Once they were dry we used construction adhesive to glue the tiles onto the luon. We set heavy books on them to make sure the tiles and the luon became one. We let them set for a little over 24 hours to make sure they were dry(nobody wants a tile on their head in the middle of the night).
Then we measured on the headboard where we wanted the tiles and marked it with chalk. Now the tricky part comes. We spread construction adhesive pretty thick on the back of the luon/tiles and I held them to the wall while Matt double checked the tiles with the level.
Then Matt used pretty small nails(about 4 each tile) to hold the tiles up until the adhesive dries. The nails have to be pounded in only to the tile then a nail punch must be used to drive the nail all the way into the wall so that the glass tiles are not damaged. WARNING: The construction adhesive will most likely damage the dry wall when we take it down. Therefore, be prepared to do some mudding and sanding in the future if you plan to use this method

.
If the headboard looks a little high that's because it is. Matt plans to build a base for the bed to sit on that will be 6" higher than the bed currently is. The higher frame will allow for storage under the bed. There is one last touch we plan to add to the headboard. I have a friend who is very handy with woodworking. She is making me two wood boxes that will hang between the tiles, a candle will be in each box...hard to explain, I'll post photos when they're done. Matt also plans to build side tables for the bed. Those photos are to come, but probably much later. :)


A friend bought me these curtains, but I'm pretty sure they are from Hobby Lobby and if you sign up for their newsletter, you'll get a 40% off coupon every other week, so you can get nice curtains inexpensively. The walls on either side of the window still need some attention, but I'm just not sure what to do on them yet. Do you have any ideas? I was thinking perhaps a few B/W photos of Matt and I, but not sure.
It's been fun trying to decorate economically and in a modern motif. While I love the room thus far, I think the room is on the verge of being a little masculine looking, but I've always felt a little sorry for men stuck in flowered bedrooms for 50 years, so I guess all is fair. :) Seriously, do you think if I add a flower arrangement or something, it might bring a bit of femininity to soften it a bit? Calla Lilies? I'm totally open to suggestions, so feel free to send them my way. I always love hearing from you.


19 comments:

Kimberly said...

Cool!! looks great and so happy for you that it's coming together so well...
what about the shelf set things you can get anywhere (Target has good ones) for the spaces by the windows? just an idea...maybe a flower or something on the shelf if you want some feminine doodad:)

anxious to see your Mom's quilt, too...

Kimberly said...

oh...and i'd love to see some red roses in that room:)

Kimberly said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julia said...

Kimber, I love that idea...perhaps red roses on the shelf? (I'd take real ones too hint hint Matt) :) I thought of accenting in red anyway...a girl has to have throw pillows you know.

lauralavon said...

It's looking very nice, Juwah!
I'd go with pink accents instead of red... just my preference. It would soften the black.

Julia said...

Laura, thanks for the pink idea... I really like it. Matt? Not so much(he's so prejudice against pink). :) We'll have to find a compromise. Red scares me a little because I don't want it to look gaudy. I know it could be done right, I just don't know if I can pull it off. My weakness is embellishing and accenting. I love to pick the colors and do the big picture stuff, but I'm not so good with the details...hmm? Sounds familiar. :)

Kimberly said...

compromise: purple:):)

Making Memories 1999 said...

I like Kim's idea of the small shelf sets (like the ones you have in your dining room?) on one side of the window. You could embellish with white flowers. (The white would serve to soften a little. Although, I think a little red would be fine.) And on the other side...how about a black/white picture canvas of your boys or whole family...maybe sitting on one of the shelves. Winkflash has picture canvas prints on sale right now. (60% off 18x24 and 40% off all other sizes.)

I'm looking forward to seeing your finished product. I'm sure it will be beautiful!!

Making Memories 1999 said...

OR...(just thought of this)...you could do silhouette pictures of your boys' heads!! They aren't as hard to do as it might seem. (Have them stand between a light and the wall, trace their silhouette, then cut out of black paper, and mount on white paper with a black frame) Twalaa...you have silhouettes!

Again...just an idea! =)

Julia said...

Thanks for the ideas Becca...I've been tempted before by the canvas photo sales at Winkflash, you just may be the push I needed in that direction. :)

Kelly S said...

It's turning out so nice! Thanks for sharing the pictures. Yellow is another color that is used a lot with black and white - especially the brighter yellow. Also, you could use a deeper color of red to prevent the gaudy look. You're doing great. You're a brave woman to jump into such a big project like that. My bedroom desparately needs done but I just keep ignoring it. Maybe someday. :-)

Julia said...

Hey Kelly, good to hear from you. I've been missing you on the blog world. :) Thanks for the suggestions too. I understand about ignoring the issue. I picked up this and that, here and there for almost 3 years before we actually took the plunge and tackled the bedroom project. We both have babies to raise and that's firt priority, so don't feel any pressure girl....enjoy them, the room can be done later. :)

The Dickinsons said...

It's Looking good! =)

sarahmfry said...

Okay, so you might really hate this color...but I love punches of bright green (maybe called apple green?) Definitely trendy, but fresh and happy.

(Here is the color with black & white decor...

http://www.bhg.com/decorating/color/neutrals/black-and-white-update/)

And you can always replace pillows easily when the notion strikes you.

And I'm a sucker for simple, happy Gerber daisies in that color.

I recently took the plunge and just jumped in with a project...took my kitchen cabinet doors off...red canvas bins from walmart...Don't hate my kitchen anymore! Good feeling.

Julia said...

Sarah,
Don't hate the idea at all. I'm a sucker for bright happy colors. I'd love to see photos of your kitchen...I'll be checking your blog. :)

Unknown said...

Just had the idea to do a very similar head board with teal and aquamarine tiles and for a pack of 5 tile sheets is £50!!! Don't know how much that is in dollars but its definitely more than the bargain you guys got :) so glad I'm not the only 1 who thinks about crazy things like this 1 hahaa

Unknown said...

Just had the idea to do a very similar head board with teal and aquamarine tiles and for a pack of 5 tile sheets is £50!!! Don't know how much that is in dollars but its definitely more than the bargain you guys got :) so glad I'm not the only 1 who thinks about crazy things like this 1 hahaa

Unknown said...

Just had the idea to do a very similar head board with teal and aquamarine tiles and for a pack of 5 tile sheets is £50!!! Don't know how much that is in dollars but its definitely more than the bargain you guys got :) so glad I'm not the only 1 who thinks about crazy things like this 1 hahaa

Unknown said...

Just had the idea to do a very similar head board with teal and aquamarine tiles and for a pack of 5 tile sheets is £50!!! Don't know how much that is in dollars but its definitely more than the bargain you guys got :) so glad I'm not the only 1 who thinks about crazy things like this 1 hahaa