Saturday, January 1, 2011

Happy New Year!

2010 Cast of The Weston Family Christmas


Happy New Year!! It's been awhile since I have posted. I direct the Christmas drama for our church youth and we start our practices in October. However things don't really start getting busy with the drama until November...notice my last post was in November. :) The drama went very well, I am so honored to work with such talented young people. Our Christmas season tends to be dominated by the drama...don't get me wrong, this isn't a complaint, we LOVE doing it. Our boys participate in the children's drama and I've learned over the last few years how to manage my time in December. This year was busy, but I had all my Christmas shopping done, house decorated and even hosted the Thomas family Christmas BEFORE the drama's opening night. Lots of costumes and props were already purchased or made way before the crunch time and everyone in the church is so willing to help in anyway possible to make the drama a success. So at the end of the day it's a busy time, but it certainly doesn't drain us of the joy of the season.

For Christmas this year I got the new book by Mary Beth Chapman entitled Choosing to See. Reading about the intense grief of a family who has lost a child in such tragic circumstances gives one cause to pause and reflect on priorities. I'm not really big on New Year's resolutions. My history has been one of miserable failure when it comes to resolutions. There was a period of about 10 years that I resolved every year to weigh 115 lbs. Reality set in about 8 years ago and I realized 115 lbs is NEVER going to happen for me. :) So my resolutions have grown up with me. This year though I was struck while reading Mary Beth Chapman's 2008 Christmas letter. She writes, "How would I have lived differently if I knew that my time with Maria was going to be this short?....I would have purposely hugged and kissed more. I would have tried to memorize and lock away in my heart certain smells and smiles. I would have colored more and worked less. I would have laughed more and fussed less. Bedtime wouldn't have become a chore to check off the list of things to get done. Instead it would have been more of an opportunity to listen about the day and offer whatever words were needed. The swimming pool wouldn't have been too cold to swim in. The flowers in the garden would have all been picked, and definitely more ice cream would have been consumed!" Those words have inspired and convicted me. I look at all my relationships differently through that lense. But since my boys are my top priority calling from God, I look at them so differently now. Even if God grants us the gift of enjoying them for a life time, our time is so short. They already are growing up so fast.


And so I resolve in 2011 to hug and kiss more. To memorize and lock in my heart the golden sweet mundane moments. I will sword fight more and be on the computer less. I will laugh more and fuss less. Bedtime will be earlier so that it is not a rushed chore to be checked off, but a time where I do have time to sit and listen to one more story or answer one more question. The pool won't be too cold to swim in. The black berries in the woods will be picked, and definitely more ice cream will be consumed!

5 comments:

Making Memories 1999 said...

Happy New Year to you and your sweet family, friend! I enjoyed your post. I want to read that book as well. Sounds like it would be a bit convicting. =) Good resolutions...and I'm SURE you won't regret a moment of them!! Thanks for your friendship!!

Kimberly said...

i read that book...some good nuggets and loads of good honesty. Happy New Year and love to all of you!

(115lbs.?!?!?!....never for me, either!!:)

Unknown said...

Oh yes, 115 ... the last time that happened was around 10th grade!Good thoughts - it's so easy to forget how little time we really have and what's really important. Blessings!

sarahmfry said...

This SO resonated with me this morning!

And I'm on the LONG and LONELY weight-loss journey : )....I've lost around 45 with about 20-something to go. I think of you sometimes as a "she did it and kept if off" Don't really know how much or how long or how you did it, but you are positive inspiration. Thanks!

Julia said...

Thanks ladies for stopping by my blog, I love hearing from you all.

115 lbs? I'm not sure if I ever saw it, at least when I did I didn't care...probably 3rd grade or something. :)
Sarah, YOU ARE AMAZING!! I only took off about 30lbs and and it took a year or more. That is A LOT of hard work, GO GIRL!! I have been able to keep most of mine off basically by eating smaller portions...I used to exercise, but well um....anyway, hope you have a great day. :)