Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Update

I must admit, I'm a little bitter. I typed a whole update on my blog Monday and just before I published it my computer crashed. So here's my next attempt.

Life has been busy as usual, but I thought I'd share some of my mundane business.
Last Thursday I had a special treat. I got to go to dinner and Starbucks with my dear friend Jo. Jo is a missionary in the Public School System. She is the hands and feet of Jesus to her students. She is a terrific teacher. I know this because she teaches our boys in Sunday School and I am often blown away at how much they understand and can "teach" back to us when we get home. Of all the "ministries" out there that are worthy of accolades, I think Teaching is one that gets bypassed way too often. So needless to say, Miss. Jo is one of my heroes.

Friday was like any other Friday, except at the end of the day Matt's face got very red, hot, and puffy. We suspected that perhaps the Antibiotic he was on for the Toxo might be causing some side effects. All week he had pretty severe muscle ache and then with the red face, we were pretty sure he was having an allergic reaction. Why is it these things always happen on weekend nights? He didn't take anymore of the pills, but by Saturday he had a rash. We called the Dr. on call at the office where they prescribed the drugs. He said that Matt should take one more and see what happens. Matt thought the man was insane and refused to take another. (fortunately) Anyway, we went to the Pharmacy where the prescription was filled and they suggested not taking any more and see what happens. Matt thought this was a much better plan. So we fed him Benedryl all weekend. By Monday he was pretty much back to normal. However, he still needs to be on some Antibiotic for the Toxo so we headed back to St. Louis today to see the Doctor (not the insane one). He has a new Antibiotic and so far so good. What a mess. It is so weird that he reacts now after taking the antibiotic for 3 weeks.

Saturday we also hosted our monthly parenting class. We are not the teachers by any stretch, we all just watch a parenting video together and then have discussion afterwards. It is such a good way for us to stay focused on our job as parents and to be encouraged by others on the same journey. It is really easy not to parent on purpose. I can easily fall into the habit of taking care of their physical needs and not focusing on the most important job of nurturing their souls. What good is it to have healthy or even obedient kids who don't have a personal relationship with Jesus? So while meeting their physical and emotional needs I also want to focus on training them, so that some day it will be easier for them to trust Jesus with their whole hearts.

Sunday after Church, we went to be with Matt's family for a late Easter dinner. We were outside most of the afternoon, it was so beautiful. However, when we got home I found TWO ticks on me. (Tara, are you thinking Hondury thoughts?) Then Monday, I was cutting Josiah's hair and found one on his head. I really hate those nasty little things.

That about brings you up to speed on us. I really am enjoying staying in better contact with so many of you through this medium. I feel blessed to have such good friends.

8 comments:

Tara said...

Julia,

First of all, BIG FAT EWWWWWW! on the ticks. I'm so NOT into that aspect of outdoor life! Could be the hideous negative association to which you referred......
I am so sorry that Matt is having all this trouble with his eyes and the meds, etc. I know it's probably more stressful than you've let on, and I want to let you know again that we have been praying for him specifically.
Are you doing the "Parenting on Purpose" series in your class? I wonder because of the way you put it. We did that series last summer, and I thought it was great.
I was surprised to see a blog from you; figured you'd be at IHC. Are you foregoing that these days?!? If you want something to do this weekend, come to Louisville for the HOBE SOUND Connection reunion. Im looking forward to it. It's at 1:30 at a Ryans in Louisville.

Love ya!
th
oh, yeah, sure wish I DID have a "Jesus" tape! I'd use it for all sorts of mischief! I'm so bad......

Marty said...

Now that I'm homeschooling, teachers mean a lot more to me also! I have a good friend that has been in the private school in administration and she is now moving into the public school classroom. She feels that God is calling her into this field. I have so much respect for her and calling. Have a great day! Are yal going to IHC?

Kimberly said...

I am VERY happy to have the receipe...maybe if I tell Kayla it is here, she will check out our blogs!!:) Liked the "on purpose" part...pretty much every part of living should be that way..but usually I'm on cruise control. Tell Matt we are sorry and will keep him in prayer. And I agree that Miss Jo is a very gifted teacher!!

The Dickinsons said...

Hey Julia, I hope that you had a fun time at IHC...we enjoyed hearing it over the Streaming Audio! It was the next best thing to being there. =)

Your blog is nice, glad I found you.
Take care,
Heather...Bogota, Colombia

Kelly S said...

Hi Julia!

It was nice seeing you at IHC. I'm so sorry to hear about Matt. I will definitely be praying for him. About the ticks...I've seen my share. We live in the country and whenever the kids come back from hiking in the woods, I usually find one or two on them. I squeal the whole time I'm pulling them out! Yuck! I'm trying to get Kayla to start a blog too. She might come around if we bug her enough!

Marty said...

Hey...don't take the recipe off yet...I haven't had time to copy it down...That is a great idea..everyone post a new recipe to share...I think I'll do the same...It will be like having dinner with each other! Love ya!

Julia said...

OK, I loved all the comments. But, I think I will respond to all them in this one, it will save room. Tara, we are not doing the Parenting on Purpose DVDs right now. Our church has a few "Parenting Curriculum" sets so we will use those first, before we buy more. However, you peeked my intrest in the "Parenting on Purpose" stuff a long time ago and I want to look into that. Do you own the DVDS?
Marty, I love the recipe idea! I'll check out your blog today and see if we can have a new meal this week.
Kim, I agree with your "on purpose" comments. It's like when your driving tired, you seem to wake up 20 miles down the road and wonder how you got there. Life can be like that. I don't want to end up "waking up" at 75 wondering how I got where I am.
Heather, I have enjoyed your blog too. I haven't left comments because I didn't know if you'd remember me. I help the people who run the sound/tapes/internet side of IHC. So as I was picking photos and shrinking them for the IHC website I thought of you and hoped you would enjoy them. (I shamelessly put a picture of one of my boys on there, isn't that pathetic? :)
Kelly; It was good to see you too, I wish we would have had time to visit. It will be fun to keep in contact this way though. Good luck getting Kayla to do this. Perhaps, the recipe I posted will draw her in, she's been asking for it for 3 years. (I know, I'm terribly manipulative.) :)

Julia said...

Kelly;

I checked out your blog, but it won't let me leave comments. Your family is so sweet. Kayla has a blog now too. It is www.leastlikelytorespond.blogspot.com