Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Goofy Kids

Do they really have a chance at being "normal" with their parents?

Often times in church during the song service I will hold one of the boys on my lap and sing in his ear. On each verse I will sing a different part(BTW, I never try bass), when I switch to a new part I will tell him what part I will be singing, i.e. "now I'm going to sing the alto part on this verse". I hope by doing this, their ears will become used to listening for parts. I do the same thing with instruments as we listen to music. I will say, " do you hear that beautiful french horn?" or "wow, listen to that cello!" Anyway, the other day it all came back to haunt me. We were driving down the road listening to Brooklyn Tab and I hear Micah from the back seat, "Mommy now I'm gonna sing alto!" Josiah replies, "And I'm gonna sing wead, I wike to sing wead cause wead is the woud part, if you sing wead that means you sing woud." I tried my best to explain that Lead is not just singing loud, it just seems loud to them because it is the melody of the song. They just looked at me as if to say, "yeah, OK, anyway as we were saying". Then Josiah says, "let's switch, now you sing Wead Micah and I'll sing Alto, come on Mommy sing!" So I sang. (before you get impressed, they are not actually singing parts, unless they are following me singing a part.)

Yesterday we started officially potty training Micah. Ahh the joy. We took his bear and put underwear on it, then we showed the bear how to go potty and keep his pants clean and dry, then bear got a treat. Bear learns so quickly. Then we put Bob the Builder underwear on Micah and said, "Now Micah you don't want to get Bob wet, keep Bob clean and dry. Then we set the timer and did the stay off the carpet thing and go potty every time the timer goes off. He didn't do too badly, only 2 accidents, one was right after we had taken him potty though. While Matt and I were still eating lunch, we noticed that Micah was dancing around in a circle and then falling down, he really seemed to be enjoying himself. He did this 3 times before we figured out he had wet himself and the floor, and was having a great time slipping and sliding in it. Needless to say, Bob got wet and Micah got a bath. Anyway, as you can tell, the apple does not fall far from the tree. Below are some pictures of our goofy guys.

Yum chocolate ice cream!
I am told that this tree stump is the Titanic, and Josiah and Micah are trying to survive the sinking of it
.A little trick photography with Daddy and Siah. For just the price of a cup of coffee a day, you could help feed this child.

20 comments:

coffeechica said...

this post and pix REALLY made me laugh! so fun! can't wait to come home for the summer, until then it is good to be able to keep up with all the happenings :D

Julia said...

Hey Coffeechica;

Good to hear from you, wish we could have made it to your recital. We are so looking forward to you coming home.

lauralavon said...

I love this post. I needed a good laugh tonight.

Marty said...

Love the pictures Jube, Jube! Your boys are almost as cute as mine! Ha! They are adorable!!! I wish my boys could come play on the titanic. I'm sure it would be turned into a skateboard park or something. I'll try to post pictures regarding that comment! Have a wonderful mother's day!

Kelly S said...

Good morning Juwah. You'll not regret doing that with your kids. Music is so important in a person's life - whether it be going to Bible college and being in choir or being called into a ministry, etc. - always helps to be able to sing. My 7-year-old was born singing off tune. I worked and worked with him but found that I got too emotionally involved (thinking about his future, etc.) and it became too intense for him. So I started him music lessons with Robyn Clemens. She is an amazing and fun teacher. I sat Joshua down by our piano last night and he sang several songs through on tune the whole time! WHOOO HOOO!

Did you read the comment I left on Tara's blog several posts ago regarding a "getaway"? I referred to it again on her most recent post. Read it!:)

Anita Marie said...

Oh thanks Julia. I needed to have a good laugh. Love the "Wead" story.

Derek Hickman said...

Aaahh, children. My little girl told me the other day she couldn't wait until she turned 18, so she could eat whoever she wants. I think she meant "whatever", but you never know with my family history! We're like an Addams Family nightmare!

Me, with my peg leg and no lips; Ma, with her "special" talent of peeling an onion with her teeth . . . she didn't have any teeth (yeah, I'm STILL confused), and Uncle Rober with his gift for "Shoe Stew". Hey, when your poor, your poor.

Gotta go, the cops are here . . . again.

Kimberly said...

I needed a laugh tonight too, and got it!! BTW, I bet your bass singing is supurb and would pay to hear it!:) (OK...this BD is getting ridiculous..whoooo are yoooou)

Julia said...

Kelly;
It is amazing how kiddos who can't carry a tune learn how to after music lessons. I saw it happen with a family in our church. The difference in how they could sing, after starting Piano lessons was really neat. (neat? I sound like Mrs. B)
Kimherly;
As ridiculous as Barry is, he makes me laugh. Although, I'm thinking the Dwarf story gave him away.

I KNOW YOU BARRY! HEE HEE HEE (I'm the one who sent the cops!)

Julia said...

Barry;

I noticed you are a big Vision fan, me too! Anyway, what is the address to your Vision Site, I'd love to visit it. Did you get permission from Brent and the Vision chicks to have a Vision site? Did you use the fat Vision Pictures of the dark girl or the thinner ones? If you need thinner ones just email me, I got connections.

Charity said...

Not a problem, Julia. And our address is nathanandcharity.blogspot.com

Charity said...

Actually, that would be www.nathanandcharity.blogspot.com
sorry...

Charity said...

Oh, and yes, I have read Red, Black and White. Very nice. I think I read all of his earlier works. Love his writing style. He's definitely a thrilling writer. But I haven't really gotten into what he's put out since the trilogy.

Julia said...

Charity;

I've not followed his work, but I started to read The House or something close to that title. Just too weird for me. So I think I'm understanding what you're saying, although, I really liked Three.

Kelly S said...

I just had a brilliant thought...Is Harry Dingle Harold?!! I told Kayla, he's seeking revenge!

Julia said...

I seriously doubt it's Harold. He's not quite so shocking, and I doubt he'd have the time to devote to a blog. But I could be wrong, heaven knows I've been wrong MANY times before.

sarahmfry said...

I love your part-singing idea. For about 4 years, I have rarely held my kids during church. (They have church mommas who keep them while I do music, specials and teach SS.) SO! I'm excited to try your "ear-training" idea with my boogers now that I'll be warmin' a pew again. Keep your cool mommy ideas coming!

kayla said...

Love the way you are teaching your boys to sing parts. I'll have to get Harold to sing in their ears. Amazingly Collin can already carry a part on his own. I'm very thankful that we have Donna Lou as their music teacher. She really keeps after me and them to make them sing.

Making Memories 1999 said...

Great pictures and story about "wead" Did they make it off of the Titanic ok? Trust the potty training is going well.

Jo said...

Hey, girl, I forgot to tell you a Sunday School story. I asked for prayer requests on Sunday and Micah raised his hand. He was sitting on Rachelle's lap. He seemed confused as to why his hand was in the air, :) so Rachelle whispered the word 'mothers' in his ear. He then proceeded to say that he was thankful for 'muzzers.' I began the prayer and a few of the boys and girls prayed, then Micah spoke up...Dear God.........tha...th....thank....thank you for muuuuuzzzzzers! ;) So precious! Love ya!