Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Rainy Days

Today is a gray rainy day. That's not always a bad thing. Josiah reminded me today that, "the rain is a good thing, it helps the plants grow." Boy that's a mouth full both in reality and metaphorically. I remember as a young person thinking The Apostle Paul had some real issues when he was always being so thankful and cheery about his trials. I think as an adult I can now see his point. Now before you put me in the category of Saints, let me say I don't ask for any trials and neither do I blame God for the ones I have, but I do recognize the potential for growth that each trial offers.

With so many blessings in my life, I feel a bit silly speaking of trials. I've not come close to experiencing some of the hardships Paul faced or even that some of you face daily. But I trust that it is in the everyday grind of life that I develop my perspective and grow in my knowledge of Jesus. Then when the devastating winds begin to blow in on my life, I will have a foundation firmly planted in my Heavenly Father.

Speaking of blessings, we are thankful for one small blessing. Matt did not have to serve on Jury yesterday and was able to attend Josiah's recital. The Jury-Chick did promise sternly that he would have to serve another month and would most certainly have to come in more than once. But we will take that as it comes. Having Daddy at the Recital was worth it. If you have never been to a Suzuki String Recital, you really are missing something. We even attended some before Josiah started lessons. It's so fun to hear children ranging form age 3 - 18 playing beautiful music. With the Suzuki Method all the children play the same songs as they progress. So the older students have already played and perfected the songs the younger children are just learning. So it is fun to hear all of kids play Twinkle together. As the music gets more difficult the younger students step out and by the end of the concert you get to enjoy an orchestra of young people playing gorgeous music. It sure was encouraging for me. After months of hearing the cat screaming sounds of a beginning Violinist, it's nice to see that in just a few years all those scratchings will actually make some pretty awesome music.

Well, we have church tonight and we like to hit the library before church so I will close for now. Thanks for being one of the many blessings in my life.

10 comments:

kayla said...

Thanks for this post. I stayed home from church to take a nap because I have to work tonight. I was feeling a bit sorry for myself, couldn't sleep so I got up and read your blog. Thanks for helping me put things in perspective.
Did those videos help you learn any Spanish. I'll have to get them. We would make Marty proud.

Making Memories 1999 said...

I'm SOO glad Matt got to come to the recital Monday evening!! I know that meant ALOT to you all!!

Julia said...

Kayla;
Si, poco.

Kim M. said...

It's great how the Lord works out things for us that are so important. Sounds like a nice recital!

sarahmfry said...

I'm looking forward to Kayla's Suzuki recital soon and the "Okay, this was all worth it" feeling I'm sure to have. It's been a ROUGH year of lessons for us! I can't wait to be her teacher again. Reading your description encouraged me.

Tara said...

Hola, mi amiga Hoo-lia:

Como Esta?

Okay, I'm already brain dead trying to figure out where to go from there! Unless I break out into a stirring rendition of "Fuente de la Vida Eterna". Remember that one????!!

Glad Matt got to go to the recital. I'm sure you all were very proud parents, rightly so. Was this Josiah's first recital? I was glad Becca posted pics: he was SOOOO cute! (not to guilt you or anything :))

It's an icky yucky rainy day here too. I know it's a blessing and all, but still.......yuck!! My hubby has been home sick all week too. So the rain just contributes to the atmosphere around here.

Love ya,
Tara

Anonymous said...

Speaking of rainy days....we haven't had one since some time in March. And we are talking England here. Most people have the idea that it rains all the time in England but we are having fantastic weather. We received 12 unbrellas for wedding presents. :/

Anita

Julia said...

Sarah;
I ordered the Violin Practice Kit you mentioned on your site. I am excited about it. Have you heard of the book, Helping Parent's Practice by Edmund Sprunger? I'm reading it now, and although I do not agree with him 100%, he does have some helpful suggestions.
Tara;
It took me a minute to remember the song, but the pride swelled in my chest again as I remembered the Hondurans thinking we were fluent because of our accents. (or was it because Sarah R drilled us to death:)) This was Josiah's 4th Recital. Our studio has 2 Solo recitals a year and 2 group recitals, this was the last for this year. I couldn't find the camera before we left for recital, so sadly I left without it. I will post a photo our dear friend took of him with his violin though, if this will make up for my bad parenting. :)
Anita;
Send me one of those umbrellas, cause it's still raining here. Ya know come to think of it, I can't remember ever hearing of devasting weather going on in England. Perhaps we should think about a move.:)

Julia said...

P.S. I mean devastating... not devasting. Is devasting a word?

Marty said...

Speaking of Spanish...I'm a pro...Wouldn't you love to hear me read the daily scripture? Great Memories of a sorry attempt of a class.