Monday, May 21, 2007

Papa & Nanny - oh what fun!

Well, we made the LOOOOOONG trip to Michigan. Once we get there it is worth the effort, but oh, how we dread the drive. We went to Matt's niece, Savannah's kindergarten graduation on Thursday night.(see photo). We decided to leave after her graduation. (we figured the kiddos would sleep all the way up.) Savannah is Matt's brother Greg's daughter and she got to come with us to Michigan. Greg is in the National Guard and had duty this weekend, so we got to keep Savannah. The boys were so excited that Savannah got to go to Papa and Nanny's house with them.

We only got about 10 minutes down the road, and Micah started coughing, got choked and vomited. (very nice in a car with 5 people.) Fortunately, we were only a mile from the exit that "Issac & Becca" live on so we called to see if we could stop by and clean up. What wonderfully gracious friends to let us barge in at 11pm and bathe Micah and lend us a fresh car seat and cleaning supplies. They are dear friends, and our heroes that night.

We got to MI Friday morning and Matt and I spent the day trying to recover from an "all-nighter". (this was much easier to do in college) Saturday morning, Mom, Savannah and I went shopping. When we got home Dad and our family went kite flying. It is amazing how much fun you can have with $1 kites.

Savannah enjoyed chasing her kite's tail while Aunt Julia flew it. But nothing doing for the boys, they wanted to pilot their own crafts. It brought back so many memories. I spent many hours as a kid chasing down fallen kites. My Dad always made special tails for the kites and parachute "men" to send up the kite line. As always, Dad was faithful to create a "parachute" to send up our kite lines this time too. (it doesn't work so well with $1 kites) :)

Daddy & Siah
Too Fun!

That evening we went back to Dad and Mom's and played with Nanny in the yard and ordered pizza. For 6, 4, and 2 year olds it doesn't get any better than that. (not too bad at 34 either!)


I realize as I get older, that I appreciate my parent's more with each passing year. They didn't do everything perfectly. In fact, I can see many things in my own life that are the result of lack of training. However, I never doubt that they did the best they could for us. I know they have regrets, because they're not afraid to tell us what they wish they could go back and change. In the end, that's what makes me admire them so much. We all are bound to make mistakes, but my parents are big enough to not excuse their mistakes, but own them, and that makes them good parents. They haven't stopped parenting us, by their admission of mess ups, they continue to train me to not make the same mistakes and they keep me humble. I know as hard as I am trying right now to train our boys to be the best they can be, to give them the tools they will need to be prepared for whatever God has for them, I know in spite of all that, I am missing some stuff. I don't know what it is, but they will, once they are adults. I hope and pray they will know that we, like our parents, did the best we could and they will stand on our shoulders, learn from our mistakes and give their kids something even better. (I really didn't mean to get all serious, I just want to honor my folks)

Well, we're home now. It feels good to be in our own beds, back to routine. (Can you believe I ever traveled full-time?) I hear Micah waking from his nap, so I suppose I should close this post and sit him on the potty. (No accidents today....yet!) :)

17 comments:

Kelly S said...

Welcome back! Trips like that with kids can be sooo tiring - but worth it. They'll treasure those memories forever.

kayla said...

I want to see your parents too. Really truly, that is one part of our living in the same place that I miss. We all had really cool parents that were as goofy as us. Please tell them that I said "Hi".

lauralavon said...

Thanks for sharing the pics and details, Jules. Like I tell C.K. on all his trips, "Send me pics. & maps, and I'll be happy!"
It makes me feel like I went along. After all, it's all about me anyway. : )
It was a joy to hear about the humility and honesty of your dear folks. That is truly a rare and precious quality.
Love ya

Julia said...

Kayla;

Mom reads my blog, just never comments so I'm sure she'll know you said hi. Who knows she probably lurks on yours too. :)
I agree though, I'd love to see your Mom and Dad too.

Kimberly said...

Wanting to know more of the S-saga after seing her again. Glad she was able to be with your family..you're a good woman! Having honest & humble parents is truly the best gift I think..

The Dickinsons said...

Enjoyed hearing of your trip...but sorry for the sickness and the mess in the car...NOT FUN! But, Praise the Lord for good ole Becca...she's a dear isn't she?!
Awight aweady...I didn't SLAM Hobe Sound...and by the way I lived in Cinci for 8 years...and never got mugged one time. =) You little turkey!! =)
Have a great day,
Love, Heather =)

Marty said...

Juwah,

It was great "seeing" pics of your parents! They are such dear people! I remember the times you dad would drive in to HS and take us to supper!!! One night we all got up from Susan's supper table and meet him for supper...Sewer was none to happy! I LOVE your mother's laugh! I can still hear it as I looked at hear picture...Thanks for sharing your trip with us!

Julia said...

Heather;

You never got mugged? WOW, you must know Karate or something. :)

Marty;

Poor Sewer, that wasn't very nice of us to leave her meal. She could fix me one now and I would promise to stay.

The Dickinsons said...

Juwah, thanks for your nice comment on my blog..YES...it takes LOTS of patience (Which I don't have a lot of) to live in these SLOW, Latin American cultures. =)

I just wanted to say that I read and agreed fully with your nice comment on Tara's blog..."about the seasons of your life"! I think that what you are doing is VERY IMPORTANT! If you raise 2 boys for Jesus, and they marry good girls and they raise who-knows-how many for Jesus, etc. etc. think of the influence you've had! We Mommies have a GREAT Job...can't be beat!
Those were GREAT WORDS OF WISDOM FROM YOU! =)

Love, Heather =)

Making Memories 1999 said...

Glad you had a good trip!! And that you were close enough to stop by -- wouldn't have been fun smelling that for 8 hours!! Your parents are so sweet and fun!! Hopefully your mom can come back for camp this year!!

Tara said...

Julia! Missed you while you were gone! Sounds like your trip started out in chaos and ended up a lot better. I was happy to see the pics of your parents. Glad that they're doing well. Your dad has treated us to our fair share of Denny's meals, huh?!? Remember when we drove all the way to Cullman, AL, to meet him when you were staying with us? Such adventurous gals we were.

Anyway, glad you made it home safe. Thanks for the email. I'm sorta on the mend now. Think it's gonna take some time.

ttyl,
th

Julia said...

Heather;

Thanks for your encouragement. I'm not great in the Paitence department either. I never realized this till I had children. :) Your fam is in our prayers.


Becca;

I still say you're a turkey for being in the Sunshine State, let me guess, you went to the ocean today? (can you tell I'm very jealous? ) Seriously, we so appreciate your friendship, and are glad you get a vacation.

Tara;

My friend. Glad to hear you're on the mend. I wish I lived close enough to help out, I know a slow recovery is next to impossible with little ones. We'll be praying for you.

Julia said...

PATIENCE!! Sorry.

Kim M. said...

Hey I am slow catching up on blogs but I enjoyed reading yours. We had a similiar incident with one of our kids getting sick. Let me just say I feel sorry for whoever vacuumed their car next. Ewww!
But we didn't have a Becca around to call where we were in the middle of nowhere. Your boys are so cute!

The Dickinsons said...

Thanks, Juwah, for your sweet comment on my blog about my Romance story and Phillip's picture he drew of me. That's a NEAT gift that your hubby got you, the antique china cabinet! I love antiques...so I'm sure I'd love to see yours! And thanks for the advise...I'll try not to wear my picture around my neck. ;)

Have a wonderful weekend,
Heather =)

Eileen said...

Hello, Julia. I have just started this blogging thing. As I was looking at some blogs, I happened upon yours. It has been a long time since we have seen you. Your family has grown since I last seen you. Thank you for sharing. Love to see people I haven't seen for a long time. This is so nice. I enjoy doing this. Well, you have a blessed day. Eileen Gerard

Julia said...

Eileen;

Welcome to the blogging world. It can be addictive. :)