Monday, May 7, 2007

Never Alone


I feel as if last week were a blur. Monday was recital, Tuesday Micah had a check up, Wednesday Matt had another Toxo check up, Thursday my weekly cleaning job, Friday another weekly cleaning job, but Saturday was a special day. Saturday morning, Becca hosted a Mother/Daughter Tea at her home. For those of you who know Becca, you'll know it was very creatively done. She had a coffee theme, complete with special mochas, lattes, and carmel machiattos(sp?). Not to mention the great food and inspiring devotional. Matt needed to go into work Saturday morning to help get some chairs built, he could take Siah, but the Micahnator would be a bit much. So I sneaked Micah into a girls-only event. I'm pretty sure we tricked everyone with his disguise. (see photo)




Saturday afternoon was a special time celebrating with girlfriends. Here is a little background. Around here when any of the ladies from our church turns 40 or 50 we do it up big! The last lady was kidnapped by blowdryer-point from work and thrown into the back of a waiting van. We whisked her off to the city for a weekend of shopping and fun. This year two ladies(see photo) are turning 40 and they have received ransom type notes warning them that 4 - "D" things are coming their way. The first "D" was Drama and we all went to see "Lost in Yonkers" at a local college that has a theatre series. Saturday was the second "D" and it was Dirt Cheap Night. We had a progressive snack at three different homes, then we went back to the first house for chocolate fondue and a foot-spa party. We had such a nice time. By the end of the day, I was zonked, but oh what fun. What a blessing to have friends. I wish all of you had been here with us to enjoy it.

On a more serious note, I thought I'd share an experience I had a few weeks ago. I hope it encourages you, as I am sure I am not the only one who faces days of uncertainty. Not long ago I was feeling pretty insecure. I had a few days when I wondered if I was worthy enough to be the wife of such an incredible man. Days when I wondered if it was selfish of me to have had children. What made me think I could possibly mold two souls into the image of Christ? It's easy to have babies and feel all those warm fuzzies, but the reality is, as wonderful as children are, they are responsibility. One day we will stand before God and give an account for how we have or have not trained them. I know in the end the choice is theirs, but how I train them will greatly influence the direction in life they will choose. Their view of God will be influenced by the justice, love, kindness, and consistency they see in me. Just when I had about over-thought myself into despair, my precious logical husband talked some sense into me and also said, "tomorrow I want you to listen to uplifting music all day, music that will focus your mind on Christ." Well, I obeyed and I'm so glad I did. I took my CD player with us to "our" cleaning job and I popped in a CD I hadn't listened to in quite sometime. One of the first songs that came on brought me to tears and helped me come back to an eternal perspective. I thought I would share those lyrics with you. I hope this song encourages you like it did me.

You Will Never Walk Alone
by: Lowell Alexander

Verse 1: Along life's road
There will be sunshine and rain
Roses and Thorns, laughter and pain
And 'cross the miles
You will face mountains so steep
Deserts so long and valleys so deep
Sometimes the journey's gentle
Sometimes the cold winds blow
But I want you to remember
I want you to know

Chorus: You will never walk alone
As long as you have faith
Jesus will be right beside you all the way
You may feel you're far from home
But home is where He is
And He'll be there down every road
You will never walk alone.

Verse 2: The path will wind
And you will find wonders and fears
Labors of love and a few falling tears
Across the years
There will be some twists and turns
Mistakes to make and lessons to learn
Sometimes the journey's gentle
Sometimes the cold winds blow
But I want you to remember
Wherever you may go

Chorus

Bridge: Jesus knows your joy, Jesus knows your need
He will go the distance with you faithfully

Chorus

I pushed the repeat button and listened to this song over and over for about 2 hours. I cried out to God to forgive me for forgetting that the job is not mine alone. I don't believe God reaches down and takes tough jobs away from us, I think as a loving Father He makes us do some work too, so that we might grow and become more like Him. However, I do need Him desperately in able to do the job that sets before me. I was right in thinking the job of being wife, and especially Mother, is way too big for me...alone, but I am not alone. Yes, I am responsible, yes I must do my best to learn to be the greatest Mommy possible for their soul's sake. But I do not have to go it alone. As long as I trust Him, He is with me every step of the way, giving me wisdom as I ask for it and strength as I need it. What a precious Companion.

17 comments:

Tara said...

Julia,
It's one of those mornings I wish you were just a block away so that we could have a big hug, maybe a cry for no good reason, and sit down and hash it all out. I was very emotional reading this post because you echoed so many things I've been feeling myself lately. Days of uncertainty. In truth, all days are like that, for we can never be certain of much in this life: except that we're NOT ALONE. Thanks for the song. Thanks for the reminder. Thanks for being my friend. And thanks for proving that you're still you---by putting a pic of your little boy in a girlie hat on the WWW!!!!! Oh, how your son will love you for that one day!! Seriously, your weekend sounds like it was very special. My sister hosts an annual Mothers Day Brunch for all the moms in our family, so I'll have some pics of that to post after Saturday.

Hope you have a wonderful day today.

Julia said...

Tara;
My thoughts and prayers are with you, be encouraged. You're such a good mom, and the proof is in the pudding. :) (you know you're getting old when you start saying things like that.)

Anita Marie said...

I'm right here wanting to join in the good ol' teary hug. I was really blessed by the words of the song you shared. Life is full of uncertainties and it just causes us to lean even more on the everlasting arms. I've had a tough few months since Mom went to be with Jesus. But, I've never before felt so close to God. I just feel like he has gathered me up and I'm sitting in his lap. Makes me think of my favourite hymn, Be Still my Soul.

Be still, my soul: the Lord is on thy side;
bear patiently the cross of grief or pain;
leave to thy God to order and provide;
in every change he faithful will remain.
Be still, my soul: thy best, thy heavenly Friend
through thorny ways leads to a joyful end.

Be still, my soul: thy God doth undertake
to guide the future as he has the past.
Thy hope, thy confidence let nothing shake;
all now mysterious shall be bright at last.
Be still, my soul: the waves and winds still know
his voice who ruled them while he dwelt below.

Be still, my soul: when dearest friends depart,
and all is darkened in the vale of tears,
then shalt thou better know his love, his heart,
who comes to soothe thy sorrow and thy fears.
Be still, my soul: thy Jesus can repay,
from his own fulness, all he takes away.

Kelly S said...

Wow Julia. Thanks so much for sharing the blessing! It meant a lot to me this morning.

My hubby left for California this morning. He travels frequently and it's usually during the times that he's gone that I start feeling inadequate. Soon after he leaves Satan starts attacking me and putting the thought into my head, "how can I do this alone?". But then by the end of the week, I see over and over again how faithful God is.

In the times that I feel I'm not adequate enough to raise my children, I cling tight to the verse, "I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go: I will guide thee with mine eye".

I am praying this morning that God will give you an extra special blessing and help you to have a very good week!

sarahmfry said...

Thank you for this today, Julia! I'm with Kelly on the often-parenting-alone thing. And I can't say I always do it with a smile and a song. :) Sounds like you've hit a nerve.

All I want to do this afternoon with my sick self and sick kids is go to bed and sleep for a few months. Your honesty and e-friendship have given me the courage to get up and get back to packing and scrubbing and moving.

Anita Marie said...

Julia, thanks for your comments on my blog. My blog address is
http://gadalkin.blogspot.com/

Kimberly said...

Julia..who sings this song? Appreciate hearing your heart..so thankful that He makes us worthy and strong in strength that can not possibly be our own. Love You!

Kimberly said...

PS: The sentiment makes me think of that old song "What a Precious Friend Is He"...a la Henry and Hazel..Vernons/Fullers...etc...LoveIt!

kayla said...

It is a shame what us mother's with only boys have to go through at Mother's Day. I think I am going to start a Mother/Son fishing trip or something.
I agree with Tara that this echoes things I too have been feeling. I am so thankful that I have such a wonderful Heavenly Father to help us when the tast seems overwhelming.

Mary Ellen said...

Great blog there young lady!

I saw your comment about my Dad and the funny hat - isn't it hilarious the memories that stick in our heads? I think that hat was a joke Christmas gift given to him by one Bobby Trueblood - last I knew Dad still had it!

Can you fill me in on who Marty is? She said she used to live here and knows who my Dad is but I can't tell from what she said who she is.

Your picture of your son in the hat with a flower is hilarious - Charlene has two sons and threatens to do the same thing for the Mother/Daughter banquet. I think they should make it a Mother/Child Banquet myself!

Making Memories 1999 said...

Thanks, friend, for a great post!! Recently, I had another good friend mention that young mothers are the ones who feel pressure the most! (i.e. to be like...to do like...not good enough...etc.) But I'm glad strength, help, wisdom, etc. is found in HIM, and HIS mercies are "new every morning"!! GREAT is HIS faithfulness!!

Julia said...

Kelly;
I just said a prayer for you. My hubby works hard and often, but never far away. There is NOTHING like 5:30pm around here, I can't imagine several days of no Daddy!!!

Sarah;
I said a prayer for you too. There's no experience like being sick with kids. Resting is such a joke. If all else fails, let Muzzy babysit so you can get stuff done. :) BTW, I started reading The Well Educated Mind last night, it's got my wheels turning. I also got the Practice Kit in the mail from Shar, it looks like a lot of fun. We'll probably use it more in the future since we are only on Variation 2 of Twinkle. Thanks so much for your suggestions.

Kimberly;
I know you'll be shocked, but that song is done by Point of Grace on their album entitled, Free to Fly. I honestly had to dust it off, as since having children we listen mostly to classical. When we feel crazy we pull out Twila or "Mr.Steve Greens". The other day Matt took the boys with him and I cleaned to Anointed, ahhh it felt so good. Also, I love the Precious Friend song too. I can hear the harmony in my head just typing the title.

Kayla;
I'm not sure I want to be in on that Mother/Son Fishing thing or not. Maybe a Mother/Son Go-cart
trip or perhaps a Mother/Son Paintball trip, but let's not fish.

Mary Ellen;
I'm trying to think of how to tell you who Marty is without using her name, in case she wants to remain anonymous on the WWW. She attended the High School for one year and then the College. She had two sisters attend before her. She was in my class, so Charlene would know her. Speaking of Charlene, having boys on Mother's day is a bit of a "rip off", but then I think of the future, when Daddy and the boys go do boy things and I get to stay home in the quiet house. ahhhh, boys are sounding better all the time. :)

Becca;
So glad His mercies are new every morning. Also so glad one of His gifts to me is a friend like you, who is such an encouragement.

Mary Ellen said...

Email me who she is RHUFF99217@aol.com

Anita Marie said...

Oooooh the mysterious marty. ;)

Tara said...

A gal in our church is hosting a Mother/Son Cookout this Saturday. It looked so strange to see the posters up at church, but then it was like "yeah, why not? It's about time!"

MaryEllen must just be drawing a total blank. Once she finds out, it will all make sense! Especially the comment about 'did Mr. O have heat in his house?'!

Julia, I still find it hard to believe that you would have to dust off your cd's to clean your house. That's definitely NOT the Julia we know! All the times I had to knock and knock over the music to get into your room as you sang into your hairbrush! Don't lose yourself in Motherhood too much!! I find that my kids LOVE to see that side of me when they get the chance.

Marty said...

Juwah,

I love the reminder!! Needed it so much, thanks!
OH how I remember the hairbrush days! Sing girl sing!

MaryEllen,
you can meet me at my blog mysteriousmarty.blogspot.com Enjoy the puzzle!


Maybe I'm Viola???? Ha! I know I'll get a comment now!
Marty

Anonymous said...

I am also remembering hairbrush, Babby Mason days. :) Beautiful post, my friend. Thanks for your transparency. I am amazed at how Satan loves to make us think we are all alone in our feelings, when in truth we are all quite similar! Boo on alienation!

Love ya.

By the way, I hope your son is not scarred for life. :)